British man hacked to death

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: British man hacked to death

Postby bensdad on Thu May 30, 2013 5:47 pm

Very few Christians take the Bible literally now. Even my priest is happy to explain that the miracle isn't feeding thousands with a few fish... it's the single act of a child being willing to share (first few fish) inducing thousands to share (the food they obviously had, since they knew they were gonna be on the road). Muslims OTOH, well, some of you get it... some of you don't.

Either the book is wrong our it isn't. Picking and choosing is a joke.

Wow Goalie. Ever take the Gregorc? I think i can find your spot with both hands tied behind my back.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby NMRMN on Thu May 30, 2013 5:59 pm

bensdad wrote:Very few Christians take the Bible literally now. Even my priest is happy to explain that the miracle isn't feeding thousands with a few fish... it's the single act of a child being willing to share (first few fish) inducing thousands to share (the food they obviously had, since they knew they were gonna be on the road). Muslims OTOH, well, some of you get it... some of you don't.

Wow Goalie. Ever take the Gregorc? I think i can find your spot with both hands tied behind my back.

What do you mean by 'literally'? Why should I not believe Jesus multiplied fish and bread? Would seem a pretty simple task, if you are the creator of the universe.
I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.
Member GOA | GOCRA | NRA
NMRMN

Postby XDM45 on Thu May 30, 2013 9:09 pm

Mn01r6 wrote:You seem to go to extraordinary lengths to undo something you claim has as much validity as me baptizing you Canadian by pouring maple syrup on you. Would you ask the Canadian Consulate to issue official documentation verifying you were not Canadian if I did that?

I'm not Canadian either.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Re: Re: British man hacked to death

Postby goalie on Fri May 31, 2013 6:35 am

DoxaPar wrote:
goalie wrote:Over 10 years of catholic school.

;)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

You know as well as me that every provision of every contract isn't applicable for every person.

The "joke" is arguing they are.

You are still talking about the same god. You still worship the same god who approved of, nay, required, those things in the old testament.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby TommyMN on Fri May 31, 2013 7:34 am

DoxaPar wrote:
NMRMN wrote:He's baiting you... Don't waste your time brother.

It's OK. With 10 years of theological education I'm sure he's capable of making a strong rebuttal and argument as to why I'm mistaken.

The mistake is taking a fictitious book with zero facts to back any of it up and then argue about it.
TommyMN

Postby DoxaPar on Fri May 31, 2013 8:16 am

TommyMN wrote:The mistake is taking a fictitious book with zero facts to back any of it up and then argue about it.

That may be the case but that's an entirely different (and much broader) debate. My argument was that Christians are not hypocrites simply because they don't follow the Old Testament laws. Besides, "zero facts to back any of it up" is an overstatement.
DoxaPar

Postby xd ED on Fri May 31, 2013 8:21 am

TommyMN wrote:
DoxaPar wrote:
NMRMN wrote:He's baiting you... Don't waste your time brother.

It's OK. With 10 years of theological education I'm sure he's capable of making a strong rebuttal and argument as to why I'm mistaken.

The mistake is taking a fictitious book with zero facts to back any of it up and then argue about it.

Indeed, what's the value or relevance of discussing the most published and widely distributed document in human history.....
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby TommyMN on Fri May 31, 2013 8:40 am

DoxaPar wrote:
TommyMN wrote:The mistake is taking a fictitious book with zero facts to back any of it up and then argue about it.

That may be the case but that's an entirely different (and much broader) debate. My argument was that Christians are not hypocrites simply because they don't follow the Old Testament laws. Besides, "zero facts to back any of it up" is an overstatement.

It's about belief, not fact. It's not an overstatement. Unless you were there during the snake and apple days.
TommyMN

Postby TommyMN on Fri May 31, 2013 8:43 am

xd ED wrote:
Indeed, what's the value or relevance of discussing the most published and widely distributed document in human history.....

Doctor suess has sold 600 million books. Should we discuss those as well? Arguing about something you can't prove makes everyone involved dimmer.
TommyMN

Postby DoxaPar on Fri May 31, 2013 8:49 am

TommyMN wrote:
xd ED wrote:

Doctor suess has sold 600 million books. Should we discuss those as well? Arguing about something you can't prove makes everyone involved dimmer.

That's a silly response. You honestly see no value in studying the most influential book in human history? Agree or not any "educated" person has a good knowledge of the Bible. Agree or disagree with its content, the Bible has been a influencing factor in the rising and falling of nations, wars, revolutions, remarkable good and evil in the world, and a powerful force in millions of people's lives. Its impact extends to linguistics, archaeology, history and law (Edit: I should have also added ethics, metaphysics, epistemology, sociology, philosophy, etc etc).
DoxaPar

Postby xd ED on Fri May 31, 2013 9:01 am

TommyMN wrote:
xd ED wrote:

Even as relatively limited Dr Zuess books are, the are discussed in regards to their impact on childrenn'' education and behavior. So 'yes' would be the short answer.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby DoxaPar on Fri May 31, 2013 9:07 am

xd ED wrote:So 'yes' would be the short answer.

True words! We have quite a collection of Dr. Seuss books, including a collection of his art.

My personal favorite is
http://www.amazon.com/Oh-Places-Youll-D ... 0679805273
DoxaPar

Re: Re: British man hacked to death

Postby NMRMN on Fri May 31, 2013 1:10 pm

goalie wrote:You are still talking about the same god. You still worship the same god who approved of, nay, required, those things in the old testament.

True. What things are you thinking of?
I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.
Member GOA | GOCRA | NRA
NMRMN

Postby NMRMN on Fri May 31, 2013 1:19 pm

Pat Condell on the London Murder:

Member GOA | GOCRA | NRA
NMRMN

Postby NMRMN on Fri May 31, 2013 1:24 pm

'Internet postings' that violate civil rights :?:

Group sets meeting to increase tolerance of Muslims, culture
Special speakers for the event will be Bill Killian, U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Tennessee, and Kenneth Moore, special agent in charge of the FBI’s Knoxville Division.

Killian and Moore will provide input on how civil rights can be violated by those who post inflammatory documents targeted at Muslims on social media.

“This is an educational effort with civil rights laws as they play into freedom of religion and exercising freedom of religion,” Killian told The News Monday. “This is also to inform the public what federal laws are in effect and what the consequences are.”

Killian said the presentation will also focus on Muslim culture and how, that although terrorist acts have been committed by some in the faith, they are no different from those in other religions.

Killian said Internet postings that violate civil rights are subject to federal jurisdiction.

“That’s what everybody needs to understand,” he said.

Killian said slide show presentations will be made.

read more: http://www.tullahomanews.com/?p=15360
Member GOA | GOCRA | NRA
NMRMN

PreviousNext

Return to In The News