George Zimmerman - Florida Unarmed Teen Shooting

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: George Zimmerman - Florida Unarmed Teen Shooting

Postby tazdevil on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:56 am

Countryfried Frank wrote:
tazdevil wrote:
Countryfried Frank wrote:HIPPA can't prevent him from providing his records to his lawyer. An activist at the medical establishment could though.

?? How so? A activist can not circumvent a court order.

I wasn't trying to imply that. Sorry for being vague. I was trying to say that someone with an agenda could drag their feet getting a patient copies of his/her own medical records. In this case, delay or prevent Mr. Zimmerman from transmitting his records to his own counsel. You are correct though, once a court order is issued it's pretty much a done deal.

IANAL

That would equal big trouble, potential jail time, definite firing from job and fines, just as bad as a HIPAA violation. Delaying or preventing access to medical records requested by patient or patients lawyers is severely frowned upon by the Feds. SEVERELY!
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Postby TTS on Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:06 am

New Black Panther leader arrested as group sets bounty in Florida shooting

http://www.ajc.com/news/new-black-panther-leader-1398575.html
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby ranger2339 on Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:58 pm

That guy seems like a nice young man!
ranger2339

Postby CraigJS on Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:03 pm

Everone says that they want justice, either for Zimmerman or Martin. Bull, they're looking for results to justify their beliefs, pro shooter or pro
Vic. Pro "white" (I know Zimmerman wasn't "white") or pro "black". We as a society aren't going anywhere until we get beyond the "us against them" attitude. The truth is what we should be looking for, even if we don't agree with the results. Pitty these results will NEVER happen..
CraigJS

Postby tazdevil on Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:54 pm

CraigJS wrote:Everone says that they want justice, either for Zimmerman or Martin. Bull, they're looking for results to justify their beliefs, pro shooter or pro
Vic. Pro "white" (I know Zimmerman wasn't "white") or pro "black". We as a society aren't going anywhere until we get beyond the "us against them" attitude. The truth is what we should be looking for, even if we don't agree with the results. Pitty these results will NEVER happen..

Not to attack you, however, when it comes to criminals, it will always be "Us against them." Regardless if they are a thug, a PTC holder, some kid with a hoodie, etc. etc. Criminals do not have concern for the common welfare and rights of the innocent.
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Postby JeremiahMN on Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:51 pm

It's not George Zimmerman crying for help on 911 recording, 2 experts say

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nati ... 0481.story
JeremiahMN

Postby nyffman on Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:22 pm

The article says that two "experts" who use the same method came to that conclusion. You neglect to mention that another "expert" who believes that method is inaccurate says it was Martin's voice. You also sound pretty sure of what happened, even though a real timeline on where all the 911 tapes, witness testimony and the statements by Zimmerman fit together has not been established yet. Yes, I would like the outcome to be in favor of the permit holder, Zimmerman, but I'm reserving any judgement till the facts are in.
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby Squib Joe on Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:28 pm

Comparing the voice of a man screaming and a man talking in a calm tone can't be done. Sounds like nonsense.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby JeremiahMN on Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:29 pm

nyffman wrote:The article says that two "experts" who use the same method came to that conclusion.

Maybe try reading the article next time. :roll:

"Another expert contacted by the Sentinel, utilizing different techniques, came to the same conclusion."

nyffman wrote:You also sound pretty sure of what happened, even though a real timeline on where all the 911 tapes, witness testimony and the statements by Zimmerman fit together has not been established yet. Yes, I would like the outcome to be in favor of the permit holder, Zimmerman, but I'm reserving any judgement till the facts are in.

The moment Zimmerman started following this kid, he lost all claims to self defense. Doesn't matter even if the kid did deck him, Zimmerman initiated the situation.
Last edited by JeremiahMN on Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeremiahMN

Postby JeremiahMN on Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:32 pm

Squib Joe wrote:Comparing the voice of a man screaming and a man talking in a calm tone can't be done. Sounds like nonsense.

Unless of course the evidence would have come back indicating it was indeed Zimmerman. :roll:

I'm sure lots of this "Sciencey" kind of stuff sounds like nonsense to you.
JeremiahMN

Postby nyffman on Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:36 pm

Ok, I misread that. But I'm still not real big on accepting the validity of some unnamed guy using some unnamed technique. You still have nothing to say about the named guy using a described technique who just happens to disagree with the position you desperately want to be the ultimate outcome. But if snark is your strongest argument, go ahead, play the **** out of it. :roll:
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby JeremiahMN on Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:46 pm

nyffman wrote:Ok, I misread that. But I'm still not real big on accepting the validity of some unnamed guy using some unnamed technique. You still have nothing to say about the named guy using a described technique who just happens to disagree with the position you desperately want to be the ultimate outcome. But if snark is your strongest argument, go ahead, play the **** out of it. :roll:

There is a huge difference between misreading, and NOT reading.

From the article.

"Tom Owen, forensic consultant for Owen Forensic Services LLC and chair emeritus for the American Board of Recorded Evidence, used voice identification software to rule out Zimmerman."

"Owen, a court-qualified expert witness and former chief engineer for the New York Public Library's Rodgers and Hammerstein Archives of Recorded Sound, is an authority on biometric voice analysis — a computerized process comparing attributes of voices to determine whether they match."

"After the Sentinel contacted Owen, he used software called Easy Voice Biometrics to compare Zimmerman's voice to the 911 call screams"

The also named the other person and technique.

"Ed Primeau, a Michigan-based audio engineer and forensics expert, is not a believer in the technology's use in courtroom settings.

He relies instead on audio enhancement and human analysis based on forensic experience. After listening closely to the 911 tape on which the screams are heard, Primeau also has a strong opinion.

"I believe that's Trayvon Martin in the background, without a doubt," Primeau says, stressing that the tone of the voice is a giveaway. "That's a young man screaming.""
Last edited by JeremiahMN on Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeremiahMN

Postby CraigJS on Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:51 pm

tazdevil, you are very correct. Problem with this case is we still aren't sure who's on the right side of right. But we all still have our own agenda..
CraigJS

Postby BemidjiDweller on Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:51 pm

This whole thread is turing into a :roll: fest.
BemidjiDweller

George Zimmerman - Florida Unarmed Teen Shooting

Postby tman on Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:07 pm

JeremiahMN wrote:
The moment Zimmerman started following this kid, he lost all claims to self defense. Doesn't matter even if the kid did deck him, Zimmerman initiated the situation.

If someone is trying to steal your car, and you walk up to him and tell him to stop, so he hits you; are you a reluctant participant?

Sent from my iPhone using that app which shall not be named.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

PreviousNext

Return to In The News