CMP Service Grade M1 Garands Available Again

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: CMP Service Grade M1 Garands Available Again

Postby theskalickys on Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:43 pm

ROAD TRIP!!!

If you've got a reliable car and gas money.. I would totally drive.. I have driven back and forth on +1 day weekends from Grand Rapids, MN to Denver, CO.. a 12 hour drive would be nothing to do in a weekend. I just have no money to buy a gun now that I bought my AR15 and will start working every weekend starting on the 16th, but it would be fun still
theskalickys

Postby Collector1337420 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:07 pm

Wow, those are some pretty good deals, I'm seriously considering it.

Although it seems like it's pretty difficult to actually buy one. I have no idea how I would even join whatever club so they would even sell to me.

$650 for a service grade and they still have Springfields, which is what I want. Seems like a great deal to me.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."
Collector1337420

Postby hideehoo on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:44 am

$14 for a year.

http://m1collectorsclub.com/

Sent my paperwork in last week, just waiting for the membership card before I send off the CMP order. CCW should satisfy the shooting requirements.
hideehoo

Postby Collector1337420 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:16 am

So, $14 for a year of M1 Collectors and then they will ship to your house if you have a CCW?

Doesn't seem too bad I guess.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."
Collector1337420

Postby SparkyJeff on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:04 am

Collector1337420 wrote:So, $14 for a year of M1 Collectors and then they will ship to your house if you have a CCW?

Doesn't seem too bad I guess.

Ya don't need to have a carry permit, but a carry permit satisfies the 'marksmanship training' portion of the requirements. (Or, it did for me.)

I wonder if taking a hunter safety course 20 years ago would satisfy the requirement, they don't really give a time frame.

http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/eligibility.htm
Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity: You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

Current or past military service.
Current or past law enforcement service
Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status. - Concealed Carry License.
Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training. - FFL or C&R license.
Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/competitions/forms ... anship.pdf

No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. Proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages. NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.
A fight for liberty somewhere, is a fight for liberty everywhere.
SparkyJeff

Postby photogpat on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:13 am

An M1 Garand from the CMP is a phenomenal deal -- and its not really too hard to get.

MN DNR Firearm's Safety course counts (if you still have your card)...a carry permit counts....a C&R counts.

Don't forget, if you attend one of the Clinics at Post 435 or other range, they'll teach you about the rifle too -- thats valuable info since, while not complicated, the M1 does have a few tricks to deal with.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Lunchbox on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:25 am

photogpat wrote:An M1 Garand from the CMP is a phenomenal deal -- and its not really too hard to get.

MN DNR Firearm's Safety course counts (if you still have your card)...a carry permit counts....a C&R counts.

Don't forget, if you attend one of the Clinics at Post 435 or other range, they'll teach you about the rifle too -- thats valuable info since, while not complicated, the M1 does have a few tricks to deal with.

I've got firearm safety card... but it's now nothing more then a smeared orange card... Would that work?
"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all of its students" - Robin Williams
"You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington." - Ash Williams
Lunchbox

Postby photogpat on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:27 am

Lunchbox wrote:
photogpat wrote:An M1 Garand from the CMP is a phenomenal deal -- and its not really too hard to get.

I've got firearm safety card... but it's now nothing more then a smeared orange card... Would that work?

Call or email customer service -- they're very prompt!

Contact the CMP at 256-835-8455 or by emailing CMP Customer Service
photogpat

Postby SparkyJeff on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:18 pm

photogpat wrote:Call or email customer service -- they're very prompt!

:iagree:
I was so excited to mail my order forms, I forgot to include proof of citizenship, they sent a letter highlighting the requirement.
I emailed the contact person on the form after midnight, asking if I could simply email a scanned image of my birth certificate.
I received a reply at 7 AM, saying yes, that would be accepted.
After emailing the birth certificate (Again after midnight), I received this reply before 11 AM.

Sir,

Your customer file has been updated and your order has been sent to sales for processing.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thank you,

Ladies Name
Customer Service
Civilian Marksmanship Program
(256) XXX-XXX ext XXXX
XXXXX@odcmp.com

I worry about things. The CMP contact person was very polite, professional, efficient, and fast.
:bravo:
A fight for liberty somewhere, is a fight for liberty everywhere.
SparkyJeff

Postby jspace on Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:56 am

Lunchbox wrote:

I lost the card a while ago, but there is an endorsement says "FIREARM CERTIFICATE" on the back of my license. I highlighted it on the photocopy and they took it.
jspace

Postby Lunchbox on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:09 pm

jspace wrote:
Lunchbox wrote:

I lost the card a while ago, but there is an endorsement says "FIREARM CERTIFICATE" on the back of my license. I highlighted it on the photocopy and they took it.

I've got that too... But I just blew through my firearms fund for a bit. A Garand is on the list of guns I WILL own some day, but it's down below of guns I need(a new shot gun and an Enfield).

I was asking the question more to be a smart ass but somewhat serious at the same time.
"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all of its students" - Robin Williams
"You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington." - Ash Williams
Lunchbox

Postby subwofer2 on Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:19 am

I wish they would start into the 5.56 realm. M16A1 and earlier parts kits would be very exciting.
subwofer2

Postby photogpat on Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:35 am

subwofer2 wrote:I wish they would start into the 5.56 realm. M16A1 and earlier parts kits would be very exciting.

According to Orest on their forum - never say never, but its not likely...they're plan is to sell out of M1's in the next few years...and focus instead on marksmanship.
photogpat

Postby tim on Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:21 pm

Lots of hoops just to buy a rifle. I'd love to own a M1 Garland but it doesn't look like the CMP is the most convenient.
tim

Postby photogpat on Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:11 pm

tim wrote:Lots of hoops just to buy a rifle. I'd love to own a M1 Garland but it doesn't look like the CMP is the most convenient.

Not the most convenient -- but definitely the best value by far. You're paying 30-50% less than market value for a WWII or Korean War veteran rifle in good working order. Same with ammo -- the CMP has .30-06 FMJ for 25-35% less than market.

The paperwork isn't that onerous, and requirements are easy enough for most to meet. If you're a MN resident born after 1979 and hunt, you have to have a FAS card anyhow...not too much more to it than that. Copy of your birth cert or passport, copy of FAS card (or back of Driver's LIcense), join the Garand Collectors Assn (via their website), and get your signature on Page 2 of the application notarized at Kinkos or UPS Store.

Then send it all in, and wait for 45-60 days. Gets shipped right to your door, no FFL transfer to deal with...

Worth it, IMHO.
photogpat

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns