Opinions on Dan Wesson .357

Discussion of handguns

Opinions on Dan Wesson .357

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:54 pm

I have an opportunity to purchase a, yet to be seen, Dan Wesson .357. Supposedly it is blued, that's as much as I know. I am completely unfamiliar with the brand and don't know what to expect. Sorry this is a little sketchy, but this is all i have to go on. Does anyone have experience with this manufacturer and if so, what would you say about the quality and reliability? I already own a Ruger Security Six in .357, so I could easily pass if the word was to stay away. I always want to keep my eyes open for deal, so I wanted to do some research.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: Opinions on Dan Wesson .357

Postby 1911fan on Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:16 pm

what is he asking for it. What model and what accessories does it have. DW's are unique in that barrel changing is a three minute job. Find out and report back
1911fan

Postby Belgiboy on Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:34 pm

The Dan Wesson revolvers are generally quality pieces and I wouldn't mind owning one at all. Use Gunbroker to find out what they are going for, in my experience they a a bit cheaper secondhand than Smiths. If you're getting a deal, go for it
I have a Colt Python and you don't so what do I care...

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

http://www.zazzle.com/belgiboy/gifts
Belgiboy

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:11 pm

Dan Wessons were supposed to be very sweet guns. I remember drooling over them about 20 years ago. 1911fan is right they were known for easy barrel changes meaning a .357 might have a 8 or 10 inch hunting barrel a 4 inch personnal defense one and a 2 inch snub nose. It sounds like the one you are looking at is just one barrell, still a sweet revolver I am sure.
Holland&Holland

Postby JFettig on Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:18 pm

They are an interesting revolver, if its cheap and you don't want it, I know someone who would, he puts 16" barrels on them and makes stocks for them.

Jon
JFettig

Postby zachs on Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:03 pm

I currently have one as do afew of my family members, always had very good luck with them, great triggers, good accuracy
living the dream ...just haven't figured out whose dream it is
zachs

Postby W0THK on Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:00 am

I had a Dan Wesson 715, which is a .357 revolver in stanless steel, with a 4" barrel. Great Gun! Dan Wesson is now owned by CZ and parts are service are readily available. I have contact info, if needed. DW's were many times sold as "Pistol Packs" which were the basic gun and a set of three barrels, in 2", 4" and 6", I think, and a case to hold the whole collection. As previously mentioned, changing barrels is pretty easy. A complete pistol pack can sell for upwards of $600-800 on GunBroker.

TomK
Mpls, MN
W0THK

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:20 am

Thank you, thank you. As usual the knowledge from this group never fails to impress me. The only additional information I have is that it only comes with one barrel - either a 6 or 8 inch. it's supposedly in good to excellent shape. I haven't seen it and will likely end up picking it up through my cousin who knows the guy selling it. He'll be looking it over and calling me with his assessment.

Given the entire package gun and 3 barrels is somewhere in the $600-$800 range, what would be an adjusted cost if the barrels are not included. I'm trying to find a site that will give me the barrel prices - i suppose I'd need a tool to do the work also.

The price is up in the air at the moment. I think the story is that the guy inheirited the gun from this from his Dad. He's not a gun guy. My cousin knows him and knows that I'm always looking. He is basically looking for me to name a price - I know the guy and I know his situation, so I want to be fair. I'm trying to figure out what a good price may be for it.

Thanks for your help.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby W0THK on Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:11 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Given the entire package gun and 3 barrels is somewhere in the $600-$800 range, what would be an adjusted cost if the barrels are not included. I'm trying to find a site that will give me the barrel prices - i suppose I'd need a tool to do the work also.

If I recall correctly, I paid about $300 for mine. I just got the gun by itself - no pistol pack.

TomK
W0THK

Postby 1911fan on Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:55 pm

IF I were to be buying just a frame and one barrel and shroud, I would be hard pressed to pay over $250 unless it was minty clean.

I just passed on the full pack, four barrel, 2.5, 4, 6, and 8, six shrouds, (4 heavy vent rib like a python, 2 more like a Colt trooper ) four sets of grips and the brief case fitted to all of that AND the tools and accessories for under $600. I would have bought it at that price but there were a few dull spots here and there, and a few nicks and scratches.
1911fan

Postby speedy396 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:28 pm

I picked up a stainless version about a year ago for $425 with the 4" and 8" barrels in excellent shape. This one has an over travel screw in the trigger and the chamfered cylinders. I figure I'd have that much in a used SW with that work done to it. I'm glad I got it, since it shoots great and I really like the action (even better than my custom SWs).
speedy396

Postby Ironbear on Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:21 am

FYI Dan Wesson is now owned by CZ. Check out http://www.cz-usa.com.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby David on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:49 pm

1911fan wrote:I just passed on the full pack, four barrel, 2.5, 4, 6, and 8, six shrouds, (4 heavy vent rib like a python, 2 more like a Colt trooper ) four sets of grips and the brief case fitted to all of that AND the tools and accessories for under $600. I would have bought it at that price but there were a few dull spots here and there, and a few nicks and scratches.

I saw the exact same set (this one was stainless) at Bill's a few months ago for about $600.
David

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:14 pm

I looked at and passed on the Dan Wesson this weekend. It had some pitting and for $350 I'm not sure I wanted another .357. I'd rather hang on to the cash and wait for one of you guys to get tired of their compact 9MM.

By the posts here, I got the gist that I wouldn't be able to get my money back out of the purchase. Good gun - worth $350 if it was in great shape or had other components - not worth it by itself and in average to below average shape.

Thanks for the help in understanding the dynamics of this particular opportunity.

I wish I could have got my hands on the Ruger Blackhawk .44 in Stainess that didn't make it to me for an offer. That was a neat gun.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Return to Handguns