Styer Manlicher M-A1

Discussion of handguns

Styer Manlicher M-A1

Postby bensdad on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Can somebody school me on this gun? Saw a few at Cabelas and I was a little interested. Felt good in the hand. Looked pretty cool. Fit my smallish hands. Played with two and one had a lot sloppier trigger pull than the other. It also had a funky, unpredictable reset. Makes me question the thing. What says the hive on this most unlikely possible new addition to my amazing stable?
I got nothin'
bensdad

Re: Styer Manlicher M-A1

Postby aaron878 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:24 pm

Not much to school, I own the S9-A1 which is the subcompact version. It's Steyr's attempt at a inexpensive service pistol and I think they got it right, the ergonomics are there for me (I have smaller hands too).

I've had my S9 for about a year and haven't had a hiccup with the pistol, I'd recommend it.

Plus, it looks cool.
aaron878

Postby tator2k on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:53 am

They're an upgrade over their original M9(40)/S9(40) from early 2000s. They retooled the frame for a more normal grip and offered additional sight options. I still carry one of the old M40s.
tator2k

Postby MrVvrroomm on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:15 am

I have both M9-A1 and M40-A1. Unique, fun.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Certified Glock Armorer

engnerdan wrote:First he beat me up on the price. Then he made me deliver it. Then he made me drive to Roseville to pick up my money.
MrVvrroomm
Changed

Postby Inazone on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:35 pm

I have a Steyr M9-A1 that I bought at Cabela's around this time last year. At the time, all of the Steyrs at Cabela's had come from distributor PW Arms instead of Steyr America, and reportedly are/were sort of "leftovers" from some scrapped military deal with an unspecified Middle Eastern government. As such, they had some traits of the earlier M9 and some of the most recent A1 series. So, the PW Arms version has the M9 logo but is essentially the same as the current M9-A1 in most respects.

I love my Steyr, especially the trapezoidal sights and the slightly different grip angle. However, it did have roughly a 300-round break-in period, during which I had a few FTEs and FTFs. I was worried I'd bought a lemon, but a bit of online research showed that this is pretty normal. Since then, it has been flawless.
Inazone

Return to Handguns