Upgrading Sights...

Discussion of handguns

Upgrading Sights...

Postby MKearn on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:20 pm

So I am thinking about upgrading the sights on a few of my pistols. My question is, should I get Trijicon, Meprolight, or TruGlo TFO?

I know some people like Trijicon and some prefer Meprolight. I like the idea of fiber by day and tritium by night. So help me out. Which would you buy and why?
MKearn

Re: Upgrading Sights...

Postby MrVvrroomm on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:51 pm

What kinda gun?
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Certified Glock Armorer

engnerdan wrote:First he beat me up on the price. Then he made me deliver it. Then he made me drive to Roseville to pick up my money.
MrVvrroomm
Changed

Postby bstrawse on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:17 am

I've used them all - they're all decent.

Personally, I like the mepro's - but I think it's really just a personal choice.

If we're talking Glocks or 1911s,I have the installation tools in my garage :)
B
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby usnret on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:43 am

If I were you, I would look at something other than Night Sights. The reason being, how often are you planning on shooting at night? I would suggest looking at something on the line of fiber optic type sights.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby Hammer99... on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:51 am

I have an XS 24/7 on my LCR, Mepro (green on orange) on my glock 23 and 35, TFOs on my shotgun and G21sf. They are all really good sights.
I love it when a plan comes together!
Hammer99...

Postby solidgun on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:41 am

I have had 2 Tru Glo sights and 1 broke and the other didn't fit into the slide due to manufacturing defect (these were for handguns, so I have no experience with them on long guns).

I have had no issues with dozens of Mepro and Trijicon. I tend to buy one or the other based on availability, but I find Trijicon easier to find by model number.
Last edited by solidgun on Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby MKearn on Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:55 pm

They are going on a Beretta PX4 Storm 40, a Ruger P94, and one of my XDM 4.5 9mm pistols.

I agree with the fiber optic point. I already have night sights on my TRP and that is the one on the nightstand. So maybe TFO's?
MKearn

Postby Skydivermn on Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:03 pm

I too want to upgrade my regular Glock sights (on a G21SF) with night sights. My G30SF has factory Trijs installed and I'd be just fine with having that brand on the other one too. From what I've read here is that some people have all the tools to do this. I don't know what the std charge is for this, but I'd like to do this sooner than later. I can either purchase the sights before or from you, if they're available. Who would be able to assist?

I'm located in western Mpls, and we can arrange meeting at a later time. Please let me know!
Thanks, and I appreciate your time!

:D
Skydivermn

Postby MrVvrroomm on Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:17 pm

Skydivermn wrote:I too want to upgrade my regular Glock sights (on a G21SF) with night sights.

From what I've read here is that some people have all the tools to do this. I don't know what the std charge is for this, but I'd like to do this sooner than later. I can either purchase the sights before or from you, if they're available. Who would be able to assist?

PM'd .

Certified Glock Armorer

engnerdan wrote:First he beat me up on the price. Then he made me deliver it. Then he made me drive to Roseville to pick up my money.
MrVvrroomm
Changed

Postby dsm2nr on Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:45 pm

I LOVE my TFOs. They get so bright (a good bright) in sun light, it's awesome. It makes it way easier (for me) to acquire and reacquire sights.
dsm2nr

Postby Skydivermn on Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:16 pm

Thanks!
Skydivermn

Postby arizona98tj on Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:19 pm

Unfortunately, about a decade after you buy the night sights, you'll be replacing them with a new set. I've bought my first and last set.
arizona98tj

Postby MrVvrroomm on Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:30 pm

arizona98tj wrote:Unfortunately, about a decade after you buy the night sights, you'll be replacing them with a new set. I've bought my first and last set.

:roll:

Certified Glock Armorer

MrVvrroomm
Changed

Postby Skydivermn on Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:31 pm

True, they don't last forever, but I'm okay with that.
Skydivermn

Postby MKearn on Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:20 pm

dsm2nr wrote:I LOVE my TFOs. They get so bright (a good bright) in sun light, it's awesome. It makes it way easier (for me) to acquire and reacquire sights.

Cool. Have you had any problems with them snagging on anything? I heard they can be a bit more bulky than Trijicon or Meps.
MKearn

Next

Return to Handguns