Glock conversion

Discussion of handguns

Glock conversion

Postby pagollum on Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:44 am

Looking for feedback on the Advantage Arms .22 conversion for Glocks. Anybody out there using one?
pagollum

Re: Glock conversion

Postby phorvick on Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:56 am

pagollum wrote:Looking for feedback on the Advantage Arms .22 conversion for Glocks. Anybody out there using one?

I had one...it was very reliable. Considering the cost of the unit, you might have more fun getting a separate .22 handgun. (Although I understand things like practicing trigger control, grip etc with your carry gun).
Where did I leave the Tardis?
phorvick

Postby Keith on Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:08 am

I have one for the subcompact Glocks.
It seems to like CCI mini-mag ammo the best.

I probably haven't shot in a couple years. It is fun, though.
Yeah, but I shoot with THIS hand.
Keith

Postby onebohemian on Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:55 am

My dad and I each have one for our G17 and G19. Both are the LEO style. Both are excellent in their quality. We have absolutely zero complaints. Both perform exactly as represented by AA. If you run CCI, you never get FTE/FTF. If you run the cheap remington or federal bulk packs, you get some minor problems due to the rounds not having enough oomph to cycle the slide completely or the nose of the bullet getting caught a little. AA warns you of this when you buy it though. Most importantly, the things are fun as heck to shoot. Order a couple extra magazines as that California 10-round max slows down your progress through a brick of long rifles way too much. If you watch MidwayUSA's sales, I think you'll sometimes catch them with the extra mags available at a little cheaper price than through AA.

By the way, I don't buy the thought process behind using a .22 conversion kit on your carry gun to give you more experience with it. Just like you should be practicing with your actual self defense carry ammo, you should also actually be using all parts of your carry gun when trying to prepare for self defense situations -- that obviously includes the true slide for your glock or 1911. There's a big difference in weight between the AA slide and the Glock slide. I assume the same holds true for any 1911 conversion you can buy or for the Ciener conversions too (although I don't own any of those so am not 100% sure). As such, shooting your .22 glock or 1911 is not at all the same as shooting your 9mm/40/45 glock or 1911. My point is simply that you shouldn't be buying this solely so you can work on self defense practice with your carry gun. It just won't cut it. Dry firing will get you the same or better trigger work/control you're looking for because you can slowly watch your front sight while dry firing to see if it stays on target. I think that pulling the trigger on your 22 conversion adds an element to the trigger control work that actually takes something away from what you can learn from correct dry fire practice. Anyway, if you want to use the conversion a little for the practice/trigger work purpose, think it would be nice to be able to shoot 22 out of your glock for fun, and simply like to cheaply put a lot of holes in paper targets, than you're entering into this with the correct mindset and the AA kit is worth every penny.

Have fun.
Mark

"Edited to remove prohibited content."(2009).

"It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it." (In honor of 'Goalie,' 2013).
onebohemian

Postby pagollum on Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:54 pm

Thanks for the input, still undecided, see Advantage has a 6-8 week backlog on orders, s o it's either popular or they don't run it often. Any more opinions?
pagollum

Postby ttousi on Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:27 pm

welcome pagollum. Ask away......... plenty of experience here.
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby onebohemian on Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:06 pm

Midway shows the model made for the Glock 19, 23, 25, 32 and 22 in stock. All the rest are listed "backorder o.k." They do carry the mags as well.
Mark

"Edited to remove prohibited content."(2009).

"It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it." (In honor of 'Goalie,' 2013).
onebohemian

Postby EAJuggalo on Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:36 am

The last time I was in J&S in Lakeville they had one in stock. That was a month or two ago though.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Return to Handguns