compact gun question

Discussion of handguns

compact gun question

Postby sochr000 on Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:48 pm

So I'm thinking about getting a small pistol and although I've asked this before, what's the consensus. I'm looking at a couple like a Bersa thunder .380 or Kel-tec series like the pf9.

My preferred local shop has a Bersa for $299, and I've heard pretty good things about it. Another local shop has a kel-tec, either 9mm or 380, can't remember.

There's also a p-232 and an lcp, but the sig feels weird and has some odd features. I'm also not opposed to a wheel-gun.
Let me know the good and/or bad of these if you have experience with them.
Thanks
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
God (From Futurama)

"Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography."
--Paul Rodriguez
sochr000

Re: compact gun question

Postby 1911fan on Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:56 pm

I really hate to say this where Justa can read it, but my small gun is a either a G26 or a 6.45 para. The baby G is an awful nice gun for the money. THey run about $400 bucks from streichers new. and its a actually easier for me to shoot well with the short grip than the bigger versions of G's

IF you have the money and want a really nice, really reliable .45, the 6.45 para is a SWEET package.
1911fan

Postby VikesFan1 on Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:02 pm

sochr000 wrote:Bersa thunder .380 or Kel-tec series like the pf9.

+1 on the Bersa 380. I shot my Buddies and it's a tack driver. I liked it so much that I went out and bought their CC (conceal carry) version of the same gun. The CC is a little thinner yet, with rounder corners, but it loses the better sights and grip. The kel-tec doesn't compare IMO. Good luck. Oh, and I had no failures with either gun.
Sent from my NES using up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A!

RIP Pete aka 1911fan
VikesFan1

Postby 45usp45 on Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:59 pm

I like my CZ rami 2075.
islam was founded by a violent child molester.
45usp45

Postby SAM on Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:06 pm

For the money---------------the Bersa .380 is hard to beat. I have one-the wife has one-noooo issues. Great guns for the range-Kel-tek not so great. Easy to field strip and clean. Get the Bersa wrap-around rubber grips. Problems--drop it at GM. ;)
STAYIN' ALIVE DPS/BCA Approved Instructor Organization
NRA Instructor-Pistol-HFS-PPIH
NRA CRSO
N.D. Concealed and Dangerous Weapons Test Administrator
Mn. FAS Instructor
CSI P2C Instructor
Federal Law Enforcement Safety Act of 2004 Trainer
SAM

Location: Right smack-dab in the middle of deer f---ing heaven

Postby Rogelk on Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:51 pm

What's weird about the P-232? I don't have any experience with one, but I bet it's well made. This review liked it. http://www.lesjones.com/2003/09/16/rang ... -p232-380/
I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy - but that could change.
Dan Quayle, 5/22/89

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/na ... _enough_to
Rogelk

Postby Thunderjohn on Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:12 pm

I've had a bunch of Bersas, all calibers. Never had a problem.
The bottom mag release on the Sig is maybe what you're talking about? My Bersa 380's always shot better
than my Sig 230, sorry to say.

If you want to shoot it once in awhile, the Bersa will feel a lot better than any of the KelTecs.
FFL - http://www.Southwest-Arms.com
God, Family, Business
Emails to SouthwestArms@Gmail.com
Thunderjohn

Postby sochr000 on Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:26 pm

The 232's mag release is odd, the fact that there's no slide release, and just the general feel turned me off.
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
God (From Futurama)

"Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography."
--Paul Rodriguez
sochr000

Postby BBeckwith on Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:31 pm

Well my two cents... I just picked up a lightly used Kahr PM9 and love it the size is great for a pocket gun. It shoots very well. A little pricey if it is new out of the box. I found a very nice one used for $500.
The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its dumbest member, divided by the number of people in it.
BBeckwith

Postby justaguy on Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:35 pm

Since 1911fan stole my thunder I will have to say J frame. I'm a huge fan of the "space age alloy" J frames and I helped 3 convert to them. Not that I did much other than let them carry mine for a while. They allow you to always have a firearm, even in sweat pants which I think we all know is what I always wear because I'm a fat ass, and custom made sweat pants are all I can find that fit me.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby Rogelk on Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:57 pm

justaguy wrote:....even in sweat pants which I think we all know is what I always wear because I'm a fat ass, and custom made sweat pants are all I can find that fit me.

Well, don't feel alone. But, this gal could take your good advice on wearing sweaties. :shock:

I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy - but that could change.
Dan Quayle, 5/22/89

Rogelk

Postby Rogelk on Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:29 pm

sochr000 wrote:The 232's mag release is odd, the fact that there's no slide release, and just the general feel turned me off.

If that's the case...I'd save my pennies for this little guy...But, I just dig Sigs 8-)

Dan Quayle, 5/22/89

Rogelk

Postby bstrawse on Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:41 pm

I have a LCP - it's generally my wear around the house / last resort carry gun. I'm quite fond of it - I have no complaints.

b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Rem700 on Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:51 pm

Guess it all depends on what you mean by small and what your idea of pocket carry is, I have tried both J fames and the Kahr PM9 and didnt care for either as far as size, To big for what I was wanting one for. I have a P3AT which I can drop in a rear pants pocket, Probably would work in a shirt pocket if needed. I think it comes down to what you are willing to compromise, size, caliber, capacity.
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby bensdad on Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:00 am

It's pretty well been said. You gotta decide what "pocket carry" means to you. I can't carry anything bigger than an LCP in a pocket. But I'm a tiny little bit of a man. My wife has a Bersa Thunder 380. No problems. Round count is probably a couple thousand now (I'm guessing). We also have an LCP for church. It carries like a wallet.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Next

Return to Handguns