compact gun question

Discussion of handguns

Re: compact gun question

Postby sochr000 on Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:15 pm

So I got out earlier today to fire the new p3at and boy oh boy does that sucker kick. I was holding it pretty solid to avoid a problem due to limp-wrist. After 12rds through it my trigger finger was both throbbing and going numb. Little sucker is accurate, and I figure in a life or death situation a sore finger won't even be noticed.

Ultimately, it'll find its place in my routine, but won't replace my G19 for normal carry anytime soon. In a month or two I'll let you all know how the slightly larger Bersa treats me. I'm also going to try kidnapping my dad's .38special snubby.
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
God (From Futurama)

"Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography."
--Paul Rodriguez
sochr000

Postby 1911fan on Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:29 pm

I realize that a single bb can kill.

However in todays world of gangbangers and drugs it not simply enough to have a gun that pokes a hole in someone and allows infection to finish the job. Bangers are not that afraid of getting shot as they used to be because good medical care seems to keep so many of them alive. With druggies you get back to what the troops discovered in the phillipines back at the turn of the last century, you need a big hole hitting something important to reliably stop a prson under the influence. Hence I have little faith in something small and light driving deep enough to do that.
1911fan

Postby Rags3000 on Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:35 pm

sochr000 wrote:So I got out earlier today to fire the new p3at and boy oh boy does that sucker kick. I was holding it pretty solid to avoid a problem due to limp-wrist. After 12rds through it my trigger finger was both throbbing and going numb. Little sucker is accurate, and I figure in a life or death situation a sore finger won't even be noticed.

Ultimately, it'll find its place in my routine, but won't replace my G19 for normal carry anytime soon. In a month or two I'll let you all know how the slightly larger Bersa treats me. I'm also going to try kidnapping my dad's .38special snubby.

You dad's gun will probably fit about right, but it will seem monstrously heavy. I dropped my Taurus titanium 5-shot .38 Special plus-P J-frame in my Mika pocket holster at 7:30 this morning and forgot it was there. I visited a major church in St. Paul, then stopped at a ritzy club place on Summit Ave., then to another church in Minneapolis (it's all very complicated), then to a library near Anoka (where a sign said "Dangerous weapons banned"), then to a restaurant in Anoka, then home, then back out for coffee, then home again. It's now after 6:00. I never even thought about or noticed the gun except now, and when walking past that stupid sign at the library.

It is very comfortable to shoot. Nice, thick rubber grips. I NEVER get beaten-up-hand syndrome from this gun. I put about 15 rounds a month through it, though I use mostly mid-range-loaded .38 Specials, not the Plus-P stuff for carry. If I ever have to fire it in extremis, I doubt I would notice any difference.
"When people cease to believe in God, the danger isn't that they will believe in nothing; it is that they will believe in anything." -- G.K. Chesterton
Rags3000

Postby tweener on Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:29 pm

guess some are luckier than others.....

first 7 rds of LCP filled half dollar....and I enjoy shooting it at the range.....50-100 rds per visit. No sore fingers, no excessive kick...One of, if not, my favorite gun.

if an LCP kicks...what does a 12 ga with 3-1/2" magnum slugs do?
Never mind the typos. My keyboard is full of beer, crumbs and Dr. Peper........and .........the typo and grammer police can go to........HE..!.....no...wait a minute......California!
tweener

Postby 1911fan on Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:41 pm

I will say obviously there is a difference in recoil between calibers but fit seems to have a greater impact on perceived recoil than caliber does, (almost). My daughter has a twenty gauge Rizzini OU. It has too fat of a comb on the stock for me. It's only a twenty but if shoot it I get a welt on my cheek. I shoot two or three rounds of sporting clays with my Superposed and I feel nothing. Likewise if I shoot a j frame with the old style round butt walnut grips I will have a third finger sore enough to keep me awake. Change in a Tyler t grip or a hogue boot grip and no problem. A small gun can hurt if its not sitting in you hand right
1911fan

Postby Pinnacle on Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:51 am

tweener wrote:guess some are luckier than others.....

first 7 rds of LCP filled half dollar....and I enjoy shooting it at the range.....50-100 rds per visit. No sore fingers, no excessive kick...One of, if not, my favorite gun.

Shoot the ever living peeout of that LCP and make sure that you can operate it properly.

(FYI Tweener - about the 3.5" Slugs - If you have to ask - you don't want to know the answer....... Let's just say things get exciting/painful really fast.)
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby tweener on Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:06 am

Pinnacle wrote:
tweener wrote:guess some are luckier than others.....

Shoot the ever living peeout of that LCP and make sure that you can operate it properly.

(FYI Tweener - about the 3.5" Slugs - If you have to ask - you don't want to know the answer....... Let's just say things get exciting/painful really fast.)

load a guy up with a couple 2-3/4's and then throw a 3- 1/2 in there....sit back and enjoy.....Been there, done that.

http://www.springerprecision.com/tip.asp
Never mind the typos. My keyboard is full of beer, crumbs and Dr. Peper........and .........the typo and grammer police can go to........HE..!.....no...wait a minute......California!
tweener

Postby EJSG19 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:57 am

Better yet (if the guy is a real idiot) hand him a 10 ga with 3 1/2" slugs. (if you can find them) Nothing like a 765 grain slug to wake your shoulder up if you are used to 12 ga 2 3/4'' slugs.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby PhilaBOR on Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:03 pm

+1 on the LCP.

I've had mine about 6 months, carry it in strong side front pocket in a Bianchi #3. I clean out the belly-button lint every week - out of the hammer area mostly, but also barrel &tc. I have the Crimson Trace and like it much better than the little iron sights (haven't tried it in the dark but should be gangbusters (pun intended)). Seems very accurate for a pocket gun.

When I wear more clothes, I add a bigger gun, but Elsie stays with me almost everywhere I go, in the house, outside. It's great in summer because I don't like the untucked Hawaian shirt thing.

I had a 2 mag wallet made a while back, keep that in my weak side back pocket.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Previous

Return to Handguns