compact gun question

Discussion of handguns

Re: compact gun question

Postby Nat on Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:41 pm

Rem700 wrote:Guess it all depends on what you mean by small and what your idea of pocket carry is, I have tried both J fames and the Kahr PM9 and didnt care for either as far as size, To big for what I was wanting one for. I have a P3AT which I can drop in a rear pants pocket, Probably would work in a shirt pocket if needed. I think it comes down to what you are willing to compromise, size, caliber, capacity.

QFT
And ++ on the p3at. Kel Tec has a solid reputation, and they'll bend over backwards to help a customer. Good crew all the way around
Secrets are the opposite of Freedoms
Nat

Postby Stradawhovious on Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:47 pm

Get your hands on a ruger LCP and give it a shot. (every pun intended). I carry mine on a daily basis as both a primary or a secondary depending on the circumstances. Compact, managable, and endlessly concealable, not to mention inexpensive.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby Pinnacle on Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:06 pm

OK

Personal Rant on - those that have heard my small gun theory - ignore this one.

Small autos are somewhat unreliable as well as hard to hold properly and operate due to small grasping surfaces. Malfunctions are really hard to clear - and the small autos are picky eaters and most have mag caps of 5 or so anyhow.

I always recommend small REVOLVERS in lieu of small autos.
Last edited by Pinnacle on Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby Stradawhovious on Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:08 pm

Pinnacle wrote:I always recommend small autos in lieu of small autos.

Ummmmmmmmmmmm.......... What?
Stradawhovious

Postby westberg on Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:09 pm

I would interpret he means that small auto's are better then no gun.
westberg

Postby Stradawhovious on Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:16 pm

That's what I thought after rolling it around in that tiny little brain of mine, but I just wanted to make sure.
Stradawhovious

Postby Rags3000 on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:40 pm

I'm a pretty average-sized guy, and, like most people, if some object is too heavy or too big, I will just wind up not carrying it. I'll find reasons not to carry.

So, for me, my J-frame-sized Taurus titanium Plus-P .38 Special, five-shot, is light and compact enough that when I slide it into my Mika pocket holster, it just stays there all day long, and I'm often pleasantly surprised to realize I haven't really noticed it for hours. That is a gun that you can expect to carry, not leave at home, and I do. It's ported, and recoil is mild, considering.

Probably the Smith Airweight and Scandium J-frames would be the same. They cost a LOT more, though.

There's been a race among the big manufacturers to turn out ever-lighter carry guns. That's a good thing, but I have yet to see one that would be more than about 2 ounces lighter then mine. (I think it weighed 14 ounces, empty, last time I put it on a sensitive scale.) But 2 ounces hardly seems worth it. It's getting to the point that the ammo is a big chunk of the total weight of the package.
"When people cease to believe in God, the danger isn't that they will believe in nothing; it is that they will believe in anything." -- G.K. Chesterton
Rags3000

Postby mitchx3 on Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:14 pm

Rags3000 wrote:...but I have yet to see one that would be more than about 2 ounces lighter then mine. (I think it weighed 14 ounces, empty, last time I put it on a sensitive scale.) But 2 ounces hardly seems worth it. It's getting to the point that the ammo is a big chunk of the total weight of the package.

Keltec P3AT: 8oz empty + 3oz magazine + 3oz magazine = 14oz
mitchx3

Postby tweener on Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:34 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:Get your hands on a ruger LCP and give it a shot. (every pun intended). I carry mine on a daily basis as both a primary or a secondary depending on the circumstances. Compact, managable, and endlessly concealable, not to mention inexpensive.

I agree with that statement 100%

In my mind, If you want to go small......Go SMALL! if you deceide you would like something midsized latter, you can add to your collection, but I bet you will never sell the SMALL pistol, because it fits when others don't......

I have two extremes...I have an LCP and I have large full sized auto's...(Ok I have a subcompact too....but I never use it since I bought the LCP)....Even when I strap on the 4.5" barrel....the LCP remains in the pocket as well.....I can't imagine life without it. I am sure the Bersa's are fine, and I looked into them....but I felt like it was a compromise, and felt there may be some situations that even the Bersa was too big....So I went with the LCP, and don't regret it. I may buy a Bersa in the future, but I would never sell the LCP.

As far as shooting the LCP, I have what I thought were big hands (I wear X-large snowmobile gloves) But in reality, they aren't huge, and with the factory mag extension, two fingers fight pefectly on the grip, nice and tight. I can shoot the hell out of this gun, SUPER SUPER accurate....If you have slightly bigger fingers, the pearce extension may fit you better.

Let me know if you want to shoot it, always looking for some range time....did I mention that contrary to popular beleif, this gun is super accurate, has a good trigger, is easy to shoot, and has gone bang over 300 out of 300 times.
Never mind the typos. My keyboard is full of beer, crumbs and Dr. Peper........and .........the typo and grammer police can go to........HE..!.....no...wait a minute......California!
tweener

Postby Pred on Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:29 am

Stradawhovious wrote:

I'd guess that he meant to say that he recommends small revolvers in lieu of small autos. ?
Pred

Postby BlackEagl on Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:34 am

Pred wrote:
Stradawhovious wrote:

I'd guess that he meant to say that he recommends small revolvers in lieu of small autos. ?

Or maybe small cars instead of small autos? :twisted: (yeah, I know, it's a stretch..)
BlackEagl

Postby Pinnacle on Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:49 am

Pred wrote:
Stradawhovious wrote:

YES thanks Pred - mind was wandering..... REVOLVERS REVOLVERS REVOLVERS..... (smacks head...)

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby JoeH on Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:50 am

I'm an average sized American. ;) I find that a j-frame pocket carries really well. Note that some are heavier than others by a good half-pound.

The little autos are slim. But I'll trade that for a revolver that I can draw safely and shoot accurately even in the dark.
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby monschman on Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:18 pm

i carry a g36 in an OWB when i am not at work, it may not be the smallest thing out there like some others but it is slim and is easy to carry and carries a decent amount of a potent round. carry a tool suitable for the task at hand and for me it is the glock. BTW it can fit in a pocket comfortably, just maube not quite as much in sweaties or skinny jeans ;)
monschman

Postby Pinnacle on Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:13 pm

JoeH wrote:I'm an average sized American. ;) I find that a j-frame pocket carries really well. Note that some are heavier than others by a good half-pound.

The little autos are slim. But I'll trade that for a revolver that I can draw safely and shoot accurately even in the dark.

Average sized for whom? :o

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns