The Venerable Ruger 10/22

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

The Venerable Ruger 10/22

Postby macphisto on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:52 pm

For my 1022th post, I thought I'd start a thread on the 10/22. I have one and I like it. I have plans to make it more accurate. It was the first firearm I purchased and I bought it at Wal-Mart. I think I got one of the last models with the metal trigger guard (they're plastic now).

I don't know where this thread is going and, in case you were wondering, used the word venerable contemptuously.

So...

Do you have a 10/22?

Do you like it?

Have you spent far more than the original cost to accurize it?
macphisto

Re: The Venerable Ruger 10/22

Postby westberg on Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:00 pm

macphisto wrote:For my 1022th post, I thought I'd start a thread on the 10/22. I have one and I like it. I have plans to make it more accurate. It was the first firearm I purchased and I bought it at Wal-Mart. I think I got one of the last models with the metal trigger guard (they're plastic now).

I don't know where this thread is going and, in case you were wondering, used the word venerable contemptuously.

So...

Do you have a 10/22?

Do you like it?

Have you spent far more than the original cost to accurize it?

I bought my first one this month and have no plans on shooting it in the original form. I have the chassis from Nordic Components and have ordered the trigger group, bolt assembly and barrel from Volquartsen. When I'm done it will just be a expensive 22. :roll: I won't know how much I like it untill it's done.
westberg

Postby nyffman on Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:01 pm

I want one. If you are contempuous about it, I'll be glad to adopt it from you. ;) I'll give it a really really good home! Really! :lol:
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby macphisto on Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:07 pm

westberg wrote:I bought my first one this month and have no plans on shooting it in the original form. I have the chassis from Nordic Components and have ordered the trigger group, bolt assembly and barrel from Volquartsen. When I'm done it will just be a expensive 22. :roll: I won't know how much I like it untill it's done.

Sounds like a cool project, but I don't understand folks who won't shoot a gun they plan to upgrade while its still in stock form. Wouldn't it be nice to see how much effect on group size your upgrades make?

nyffman wrote:I want one. If you are contempuous about it, I'll be glad to adopt it from you. ;) I'll give it a really really good home! Really! :lol:

I'm contemptuous about the word venerable and its constant and annoying overuse in gunrags. The gun is great. Buy your own! ;)
macphisto

Postby EJSG19 on Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:10 pm

Well Mac, you know most of the story on mine, in fact you've shot it.

For those that don't, here's the story on mine -

Found the cheapest one I could around November of 2007, happened to be at Gander for $180. Came with a cheap wood stock, with a black plastic butt plate, blued finish, tapered barrel (not the heavy bull barrel), with the barrel strap around the forestock. Also bought a $40 3x9 BSA scope to put on it, which works well enough.

Before I ever put a round through it, I ordered a Hogue overmolded stock and left the barrel strap off (I heard just as much bad as good about barrel straps affecting the accuracy, and many 10/22's are sold without and are mounted no differently which seemed odd).

Then after about 100 rounds (one range trip), I was bored and ordered a replacement recoil buffer tube which softens the "clack" sound of the recoil. I also put in an extended magazine release lever, and an aftermarket bolt release which lets you "slingshot" the bolt to release the bolt forward and you don't have to touch the bolt release lever at all unless you choose to let it go by pressing the lever manually.

As for accurizing, I haven't done anything special. I get about 2'' groups at 50 yards with winchester bulk rate ammo and my unsteady shooting. The trigger is far from great, and that is what I attribute the majority of the inaccuracy to.

The only downfall has been the extractor, even after a good cleaning of the bolt assembly it will still fail to grab the rim of a cartridge on extraction about 1 out of every 20 rounds. So I haven't experienced the 10/22's reliable reputation.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby westberg on Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:16 pm

Sounds like a cool project, but I don't understand folks who won't shoot a gun they plan to upgrade while its still in stock form. Wouldn't it be nice to see how much effect on group size your upgrades make?

Well, you will have yours and then we can compare them side by side to see if it only looks tactical cool or if it shoots any better. I have been shooting 22's my whole life and never shot one yet that didn't shoot straight, one had a stick match for elevation holding up the rear sight.
westberg

Postby Pat Cannon on Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:36 pm

Have you seen JFettig's bullpup mod? It's pretty awesome.
(That's my son in the picture, BTW.)
Pat Cannon

Postby TC95GT on Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:31 pm

I have a Wally World special as well. Metal not plastic.

I put a different set of swivels on so I could put on a wider USGI sling. It has a set of tech sights iron sights. Much better than stock. Put in the Volquartsen Bolt Release and Target Hammer. Also added the Bell and Carlson Extended Magazine Release.

It will stay in its current configuration.
"It is not enough to just obey Big Brother, you must love him, too." 1984 by George Orwell
TC95GT

Postby 40KING on Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:10 pm

I like shooting mine, but have been thinking about adding a better trigger and mag release. After that I may swap out the barrel and stock. (I currently have the light barrel)

EJSG19 wrote:The only downfall has been the extractor, even after a good cleaning of the bolt assembly it will still fail to grab the rim of a cartridge on extraction about 1 out of every 20 rounds. So I haven't experienced the 10/22's reliable reputation.

This might actually be your mag. I bought a 30 rounder at the last gun show I was at and when I use it I have the same problem (only worse :roll: ) With the factory mag it works great.
40KING

Postby Belgiboy on Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:47 am

I have a stainless steel model, also a walmart special and also my first gun. What is there not to like? Mine likes the CCI minimags the best but shoots bulk Federal and Remington (36 gr) very well too. It hates Aguila-brand ammo, don't know why. I mounted a cheap scope on it which was fine but I ended up taking that back off. It's a close range pest removal gun (up to 75 yards maybe) and I feel that I shouldn't need a scope at that range. I've had a couple of stovepipes with it, but not really enough to be worried, I do clean it from time to time. The big screw that holds the action in place tends to work itself loose during extended shooting sessions. I'm not planning to do any mods to it, it's a perfect go-anywhere do anything .22 rifle.
I have a Colt Python and you don't so what do I care...

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

http://www.zazzle.com/belgiboy/gifts
Belgiboy

Postby pastorpaul on Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:53 am

i bought mine from k-mart in great falls, mt, for $39.95 in 1978. used it a ton to shoot pocket gophers (golden?) :roll: while serving there. would go out with a rancher member of mine into his ranch. we would each bring 1-2 bricks of ammo and dump it all into ice cream buckets. the only rule was: he who loads the fastest shoots the mostest. highly entertaining.
back to the original thread, i haven't done a thing to it since i purchased it. but i want to. i've been reading and seeing what others have been doing from arf.com and rimfirecentral.com. right now the home finances are getting tight and the expectation is they will get tighter. i may be settling for simply appreciating the firearms i presently have as i have them and just shoot them with more gratitude.
j in J - pp

polish by heritage; american by birth; patriot by conviction; saved by grace through faith in Christ!
pastorpaul

Postby Keith on Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:04 am

The factory 10 round mags seem to work the best for me with good ammo out of either of my 10/22's.

But, as far as I'm concerned the best aftermarket mags are made by Tactical Innovations. I haven't had one fail, yet. I've heard that once they get a little dirty they need to be cleaned and then they'll run great again. The nice thing is that you can take them apart to clean them.
http://www.tacticalinc.com/ti25-advance ... p-532.html
I bought a handfull back when they were ONLY $30. :? Now they have jumped to $45 and are on double secret back order, or something. I have had some more on order for two months at the old price.

THe VQ hammer and automatic bolt release make a very good, fairly cheap, upgrade.
Yeah, but I shoot with THIS hand.
Keith

Postby David on Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:43 pm

I got my first 10/22 in the late 80s, a standard blued model with a grey/black laminate stock. It was sitting next to a Mini-14 with identical furniture and I thought they'd make a nice matched set. Great rifle(s).

I picked up a stainless International Carbine some years later just because I thought it looked stunning.

I'm currently looking for the DSP model (old style), the RB-CII (engraved and figured stock) and the new junior CRR model for my son.
David

Postby MisterOblivious on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:18 pm

David Slam wrote:I'm currently looking for the DSP model (old style), the RB-CII (engraved and figured stock) and the new junior CRR model for my son.

J & S had a used DSP around Christmas. Metro pawn had a 10/77 dsp at the same time if you want to consider the bolt version.

Pastor Paul, you can do quite a few of the easy things yourself if you have some hand tools for little or no money. The "auto bolt release" only takes a few minutes with a file or dremel. Cutting a ring off the trigger return spring and polishing the plunger can smooth things out a bit. Adding an overtravel screw will set you back about $3 for a tap. Pre-travel play can be lessened with a dab of epoxy in the proper place. An extended mag release is only a few bucks, or you can drill and tap the stock one to add a handle.

In addition to the above, mine received a few more difficult modifications. The forearm was opened up to free float the barrel, then routed hollow so lead shot could be epoxied in place. The buttstock was hollowed for lead shot to balance off the weight in the forearm. The sear hook on the hammer was stoned on a machinist's vice to drop the trigger weight. The bolt face was surface ground by a toolmaker at work to tighten up the headspace* ($80 if you don't know a toolmaker). I turned a combination trigger return plunger/overtravel stop out of a piece of teflon. The stock around the action was opened up, a rear recoil/takedown lug added and the action bedded into place. I'm still looking at having the barrel turned back and reamed with a match chamber. Bye bye bulk pack bullets rattling around in a chamber looser than [wrong forum, keeping it clean :P]

10/22RR $199
TechSight $50
Bedding kit $20
Sling and studs $18
Mag release $5
Lead shot <$5
Tools don't count ;)
Everything else only cost time.

* The .22lr rim measures about .042-.043. The headspace on a modern 10/22 can measure up to a lawyer approved .055 which leaves plenty of room for the case to rattle around.
MisterOblivious

Postby W0THK on Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:36 am

I've had my 10/22 for a couple of years. It's the basic Sporter model. I got it used. The only thing I've added to it is a scope. I like it. It shoots just fine.

TomK
Mpls, MN
W0THK

Next

Return to Long Guns