marlin xl7 opinions

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

marlin xl7 opinions

Postby zachkuby87 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:45 pm

so im looking at getting a bolt action rifle for deer hunting was planning on going ar 15 but funds arent going to allow it in time "just started new job" and since i sold my marlin 336 to my sister i need a decent rifle for around 600 bucks including optics ive been looking around lately and searching the web and this is what ive come up with.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... box_holder

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... &from=grid

any opinions are welcome i just wanna know if anyone has used this rifle and/or scope and what your thoughts are. also if you know where i can purchase either for a better price that would be amazing.
zachkuby87

Re: marlin xl7 opinions

Postby Shipyard on Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:06 pm

havn't used the Marlin line myself - but if it were me, for $600 you can get one heckuva deer rig without experimenting. used 336 levers are usually $250-$350, plenty of used savage long actions around with accutrigger and decent glass in the $400-$500 range.

heck - cabelas was offering remmington and saveage scope/rifle packages in their last flyer for between $350 and $500.

no reason you couldn't do a new rem 770, savage 110 or even a used Tikka T3 for $600 or much less. all 3 are well established for knocking over critters.
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby monschman on Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:09 pm

The xl7 is a stonkingly great gun for the money.......which is closer to the $300 mark. Dont pay six for it at duck hill. Do a search here this question has been asked before and reviews have been very positive. I myself reviewd one a few years back. Its in 270win and is a great hunting firearm
monschman

Postby mnglocker on Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:26 pm

monschman wrote:The xl7 is a stonkingly great gun for the money.......which is closer to the $300 mark. Dont pay six for it at duck hill. Do a search here this question has been asked before and reviews have been very positive. I myself reviewd one a few years back. Its in 270win and is a great hunting firearm

Same story here. Screw duck hill.
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby zachkuby87 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:43 pm

any ideas on where i can pick an xl7 up for a good price? i dont wanna do anything online for guns ive just heard too many horror stories. i think im just gonna go for it and let you guys know what i think. ive always had marlins either 336 or my few .22 marlins and just about everyone in my family has or had a 336 at one point and none ever had a problem so i have no problem at all risking money on a marlin. hell my dad still uses the same marlin 30-30 he had years before i was born. i do know that when my brother was old enough to get his 1st rifle my parents decided on a winchester lever action 30-30 and its the biggest pos ive ever shot, accurate if you can get it to chamber a round but its just a complete jammomatic.
zachkuby87

Postby monschman on Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:44 pm

email thunderjohn
monschman

Postby zachkuby87 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:50 pm

lol im in the process of writing the email right now. idk why i didnt think of that in the first place hes usually who i e mail and ive bought a few guns from him i suppose i usually buy pistols and didnt think he would do rifles? idk just me being stupid i guess
zachkuby87

Postby monschman on Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:51 pm

the eye sees all,
monschman

Postby zachkuby87 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:04 pm

How many fingers am I holding up?
zachkuby87

Postby EAJuggalo on Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:26 pm

I've got an XS7 in .308 topped with a simmons buckmaster 6.5-20x50 scope that can usually be had for about $100 online. I managed to put the first three shots in a line 3 inches long at 50 yards and have gotten 2 MOA with handloads and I'm a horrible rifle shooter.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby mnglocker on Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:45 pm

1/2 moa @200 with my .270
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby zachkuby87 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:21 pm

Has anyone spoke with thunderjohn? I emailed him a few hours ago with no response normally its less than 5 minutes
zachkuby87

Postby infidel on Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:30 pm

Thunderjohn responded to an email inquiry from me yesterday. Some people have lives, I'm sure he will get to you.
“If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.” - John Ashley

Disclaimer: Do not assume from this post, that I either agree or disagree with any other issue brought up in this thread.
infidel

Postby monschman on Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:03 pm

zachkuby87 wrote:How many fingers am I holding up?

Two on the left one on the right,........and go put some pants on for gods sake
monschman

Postby yuppiejr on Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:13 pm

I think the Marlin is about the best buy in the starter priced bolt action rifle new, though I've seen a ton of used stuff that was reasonably priced including some Winchester Model 70's and Accutrigger equipped Savage rifles, might be worth checking Capras and Trail's end if you are on the North side. Gander Mountain had an extensive selection of clearance used guns in Blaine recently that included a lot of scoped bolt guns... might be worth a browse if you're up this way.

If you don't plan to upgrade and want something to slap optics on and go the Marlin is hard to beat, the Stevens Model 200 is also a good buy and is identical to the Savage model 11/111 without the Accutrigger for less than $400... but can be upgraded and customized extensively with the large number of aftermarket parts available for the Savage bolt guns.
yuppiejr

Next

Return to Long Guns