Colt AR15 in .22LR - wassup?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Colt AR15 in .22LR - wassup?

Postby Rags3000 on Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:45 pm

I am sorta semi-knowledgable about a few handguns, but when it comes to the AR family, not even slightly. I am as a child.

So, today at a gunshow I saw this interesting Colt M4 .22LR for something under $600. It's supposedly identical to an AR, except for the parts where it has to be different, but in terms of weight, looks, and so on, very similar.

A little Googling around tells me it's actually made in Germany, but Colt allows its name to be on it.

Anybody on this forum know about this rifle? It sounds like a lot of AR fun for the price of .22LR, but then that's exactly what the makers would want you to think if they were actually serving up something junky.

I await the thoughts of the masters.
"When people cease to believe in God, the danger isn't that they will believe in nothing; it is that they will believe in anything." -- G.K. Chesterton
Rags3000

Re: Colt AR15 in .22LR - wassup?

Postby FJ540 on Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:03 am

Umarex makes them, colt licenses their name - I wouldn't buy that version for $300 (having looked inside one).

S&W has a version that sells for around $450 at Gander Mtn, but it's a composite lower.

There's a couple different genuine .223 AR's available right now for $600 or a little more. Then you can get the .22 conversion bolt and mags for those for under $200.
FJ540

Postby Norsesmithy on Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:25 am

The manual of arms on the Smith and Wesson is the closest to a real AR.

Can't do mag change practice with a conversion kit, or a dedicated upper (and the Umarex Colt doesn't have a bolt release, you have to pull the charging handle).
Norsesmithy

Postby cobb on Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:24 am

I like my S&W M&P in .22 long rifle, lots of fun.

Now if my 3 extra magazine would ever turn up. :|
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby FJ540 on Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:45 pm

Mag change practice, seriously?

In my humble opinion, If you want to do drills, you should be shooting the real bullets. The whole point is to develop muscle memory, and if you're doing that, you should also be learning where your rifle puts the lead on target too. Drilling with a "simul-aid" while cheaper, is like going to the shooting range with your neighbors gun trying to get proficient.
FJ540

Postby cobb on Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:47 pm

FJ540 wrote:Mag change practice, seriously?

In my humble opinion, If you want to do drills, you should be shooting the real bullets. The whole point is to develop muscle memory, and if you're doing that, you should also be learning where your rifle puts the lead on target too. Drilling with a "simul-aid" while cheaper, is like going to the shooting range with your neighbors gun trying to get proficient.

So you think that what is commonly refereed to as "dry fire" practice is also worthless?

And going to the range with the neighbors gun is not all that bad of an idea, it may familiarize a person with a firearm that is the only working firearm that they have access to. I have been in classes that we had to go through drills with firearms besides our own, you got a basic familiarization with it's operation, maybe a good thing if the only firearm available to you when needed was not your daily.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby westberg on Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:01 pm

Mag changes are very important and should practiced as much as possible. Not only do you get more proficient at keeping yourself in the game, you also learn if mag holders, position and mags them self hold up to the stress.

This question is not slam, but how much training military or other have you had?
westberg

Postby Rags3000 on Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:43 pm

Well, glad I asked. These responses are clearing my mind on the subject. It sounds as if the M&P might be the better buy. Thanks!
"When people cease to believe in God, the danger isn't that they will believe in nothing; it is that they will believe in anything." -- G.K. Chesterton
Rags3000

Postby FJ540 on Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:11 pm

I missed expert by 2 shots in 30F down pour in February at Ft Knox. I would've had it, but I kept having to blow out my rear sight to get rid of the water bubble.

My point being that if you're wanting it to be like the real deal, you should be making it the real deal not using a .22lr placebo. There's nothing wrong with learning familiarity with multiple weapons, but if you're trying to gain proficiency with your service rifle, then using something similar is not going to do that. Close, but no cigar.

Dry firing a rifle? I don't see the point. No. Pistol, yes.
FJ540

Postby Norsesmithy on Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:23 pm

I disagree. I believe that as long as you still do enough "full power" shooting that you don't start making bad habits based on the characteristics of the .22 lr analog gun, that practice with a .22 lr analog with a manual of arms as similar as possible does so apply, just as much as if you were shooting with a "real" gun. And at the ranges such toys are designed to be used for (move and shoot, shoot house exercises, and other "tactical" drills at short range), the point of impact with the .22 lr is going to be "close enough" to the POI for .223, especially if you are shooting plates or silhouettes instead of bull's eyes.

And some minor variation WILL help keep you from falling into bad habits developed in sloth, out of expediency, or from subconsciously "gaming" your practice.
Norsesmithy

Postby FJ540 on Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:59 pm

I'm probably going to end up buying an MP15-22, but it's not because it's an analog to my real m4gery.

Unfortunately, the kiddo is still too small to properly grip the "baby-15" even with the stock collapsed, so it's not going to work saying it's for both of us when I buy it and have to explain that to the mrs. :D
FJ540

Return to Long Guns