marlin xl7 opinions

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: marlin xl7 opinions

Postby zachkuby87 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:25 pm

Talked to john and awesome price like always ill be placing my order within the week. Thanks guys
zachkuby87

Postby h2opumper on Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:52 pm

I bought 2 in the last six months, a 30-06 for 289 at Mills and 270 for 247 on closeout at Gander Mtn. I topped both with a Nikon Prostaff 3x9-40, one Nikoplex for 99 and one BDC for 169. Only thing I did was to full float the barrels and add a metal trigger guard for about 17. If 600 is your budget, that leaves room for plenty of ammo to have fun with. They are light weight, shoulder well, and Marlin did a very nice job on the trigger. They aren't glamorous, but they'll shoot right along side the ones that are. I do know of one in a 270 and camo for 300 and it's still a Marlin with the JM barrel stamp and not a Remington stamp. Keep an eye out for them as closeouts in the big box stores, especially in the slug zone of the state, since they are now typically distributed exclusively through gun dealers. My LGS is at 319 for a black X gun.
h2opumper

Postby 1911fan on Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:00 pm

Look as well at the HOWA which is the weatherby vanguard under it's original name. Also look at the Stevens 200. I shot a 200 in 7-08 that had a very economical Swift brand scope on it (maybe the best value for the buck) and from a picnic table rest, I was able to get sub 1.25 inch groups at about 120 paces. From a proper rest I know it would do better. The whole package was bought new for <\>$425 this summer.
1911fan

Postby h2opumper on Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:19 pm

100 yards off a spool and a kitty litter bag.
Attachments
target1.jpg
h2opumper

Postby zachkuby87 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:51 pm

h2opumper wrote:I bought 2 in the last six months, a 30-06 for 289 at Mills and 270 for 247 on closeout at Gander Mtn. I topped both with a Nikon Prostaff 3x9-40, one Nikoplex for 99 and one BDC for 169. Only thing I did was to full float the barrels and add a metal trigger guard for about 17. If 600 is your budget, that leaves room for plenty of ammo to have fun with. They are light weight, shoulder well, and Marlin did a very nice job on the trigger. They aren't glamorous, but they'll shoot right along side the ones that are. I do know of one in a 270 and camo for 300 and it's still a Marlin with the JM barrel stamp and not a Remington stamp. Keep an eye out for them as closeouts in the big box stores, especially in the slug zone of the state, since they are now typically distributed exclusively through gun dealers. My LGS is at 319 for a black X gun.

Yeah I found a few at various prices in stock at local stores cheapest was 369.99 with some super cheap junk scope on it I almost bought it then I looked through the scope and changed my mind real fast. So thunderjohn is setting me up with a nib xl7 camo in .270 for less than I could find in stores. Now I'm down to which scope I'm going to use any reccomendations?
zachkuby87

Postby mnglocker on Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:34 pm

zachkuby87 wrote: Now I'm down to which scope I'm going to use any reccomendations?

Don't cheap out on it, and don't cheap out on Rings. Spend at least as much on glass as you do on the gun and you'll be amazed.
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby zachkuby87 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:11 am

Das a lota dough to spend on a scope... I understand it may be awesome but I'm not a swat sniper or competition shooter I just wanna kill bambi's dad I don't need to shoot 1/4 inch groups I just need a decent reliable scope within 200 bucks or so. I mean in all reality if I can do a 3-4 inch group at 100 yards ill be perfectly fine killing deer. I'm not looking for the top dollar best stuf there is out there because I believe the shooter makes more difference than any scope or gear ever could.
zachkuby87

Postby mnglocker on Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:53 am

zachkuby87 wrote:Das a lota dough to spend on a scope... I understand it may be awesome but I'm not a swat sniper or competition shooter I just wanna kill bambi's dad I don't need to shoot 1/4 inch groups I just need a decent reliable scope within 200 bucks or so. I mean in all reality if I can do a 3-4 inch group at 100 yards ill be perfectly fine killing deer. I'm not looking for the top dollar best stuf there is out there because I believe the shooter makes more difference than any scope or gear ever could.

The problem is most cheap scopes won't hold zero on a big recoiling rifle. And Rings are going to be one of the most important parts.
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby goalie on Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:39 pm

zachkuby87 wrote:Das a lota dough to spend on a scope... I understand it may be awesome but I'm not a swat sniper or competition shooter I just wanna kill bambi's dad I don't need to shoot 1/4 inch groups I just need a decent reliable scope within 200 bucks or so. I mean in all reality if I can do a 3-4 inch group at 100 yards ill be perfectly fine killing deer. I'm not looking for the top dollar best stuf there is out there because I believe the shooter makes more difference than any scope or gear ever could.

It is wise to spend more on the glass and mounting system than the rifle. Even if the rifle cost a grand or so......

As to the original topic, the XL7/XS7 rifles are pretty darn nice for what they cost. You could do a lot worse putting together a budget deer rifle.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby zachkuby87 on Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:23 am

Well it looks like I have a little saving to do.
zachkuby87

Postby Cuda66 on Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:03 am

Crappy glass on a good rifle leaves you with a crappy rifle.

Just sayin'.
Cuda66

Postby rugersol on Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:07 am

My first scope was a $40 Bushnell POS ... 'cause my rifle was $700 ... and that was 20yr ago! It held zero and killed deer jest fine!

Since then, I've had a Nikon and a few Leupolds ... they're very nice! ... and cost well more than yer new Marlin!

I've also tried a few less expensive brands in recent years ... mostly fer AR's ... mostly Simmons. One, I'd jest as soon have my $60 back. Other one, I liked so much, I bought a 'nother! Another one I got 'cause it was lightweight ... and it's ok.

One I got with an AR I had built by Benny Hill (no, not that one) ... and I told him to put whatever scope he thought'd be good, on it. This is what he put on it! Unfortunately, in selling the rifle to my buddy, I let him have the scope, too! I'd get 'nother one ... but I already got other more expensive scopes that do the same thing. The eye-relief is a bit longer ... but I prefer a longer eye-relief, anyhow. Worst case, ya'd hafta get a 1/2in riser that extends forward ... but with a 32mm objective, and short rings, ya shouldn't end up any higher than a 40mm with medium rings. Here's an extended riser, I like. If ya order from Midway, they got an excellent return policy ... so whether ya get mediums rings to start, 'er short rings and the riser, if they don't work out, ya can return 'em fer the cost of postage ... maybe $2.

Years later, I still think that reticle is one of the best fer short to medium distance ... whether ya need a quick shot, 'er a slow one!

Here's some very reasonably priced medium rings (don't see any low's) ... I've got a couple sets of the high ones ... they're very nice!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Previous

Return to Long Guns