Police official: 3 officers killed in Pa. shooting

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Police official: 3 officers killed in Pa. shooting

Postby elmerfuddem on Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:01 pm

PITTSBURGH — A man opened fire on officers during a domestic disturbance call Saturday morning, killing three of them, a police official said. Friends said he feared the Obama administration was poised to ban guns.

Three officers were killed, said a police official at the scene who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media. Police spokeswoman Diane Richard would only say that at least five officers were wounded, but wouldn't give any other details.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-na ... .Shooting/
"Hurrah, boys, we've got them! We'll finish them up and then go home to our station." Lt. Col G.A. Custer June 25, 1876.
elmerfuddem

Re: Police official: 3 officers killed in Pa. shooting

Postby hammAR on Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:48 pm

It has been a bad week, yes it has.......I was watching this today, yesterday the tragedy in New York, the shooting in Calf of the officers, and I heard someone sum it up yesterday........"When we wake up look at the stock market and complain, or complain about the economy and everything else that seems important then you turn on the news and hear all this it makes you stop and think.".......at least it does me.

Life is not as bad as we make it sometimes even with all that is going on. When we whine about what is not going right what about focusing on something positive for a change.

There are now seven officers whose lives were taken away from them and their families, 13 others killed at the hands of someone who did not view life as important....and their families will never see them again on this earth.

Maybe we should just pause every now and then, stop our bitching and whining, and savor the day............. :busy:

All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby John S. on Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:18 pm

http://news.aol.com/article/pennsylvani ... g%2F414264

Police Chief Nate Harper said the motive for the shooting isn't clear, but friends said the gunman recently had been upset about losing his job and feared the Obama administration was poised to ban guns.

So, does this piece of excrement really think he helped keep them from wanting to ban guns by what he just did? WELL? :roll:

I'd just like to add: I'm Grateful, for a roof over my head, my family, food on the table, and I'm still on the right side of the grass. ;)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. -- P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian
John S.

Postby Tutmos on Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:09 pm

I have a feeling the Obama banning guns thing had absolutely ZERO to do with the event. It was a domestic call, so everyone knows how those could get overly emotional considering he was out of work etc. It sounds like the Obama snippet was just something one of the friends mentioned and the media has run with it like that was the basis for him doing it.

They could say the same about me. Hypothetically if I had some big emotional breakdown and the police came to "settle" it and I shot a bunch of them, not that I would ever do such a thing, but if I did... People I know could tell them, "he was pretty sure the Democrats were trying to find an angle to further restrict the second amendment." Then the media would run away with, "He thought Obama was going to take his guns away so he shot police."
Tutmos

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:29 pm

+1 on HAMMAR's comments. It is a sad day. My thoughts are with the family of the officers.
Holland&Holland

Postby R.E.T. on Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:29 am

Tutmos wrote:I have a feeling the Obama banning guns thing had absolutely ZERO to do with the event. It was a domestic call, so everyone knows how those could get overly emotional considering he was out of work etc. It sounds like the Obama snippet was just something one of the friends mentioned and the media has run with it like that was the basis for him doing it.

They could say the same about me. Hypothetically if I had some big emotional breakdown and the police came to "settle" it and I shot a bunch of them, not that I would ever do such a thing, but if I did... People I know could tell them, "he was pretty sure the Democrats were trying to find an angle to further restrict the second amendment." Then the media would run away with, "He thought Obama was going to take his guns away so he shot police."

Looking at the numbers of people buying guns that guy was not alone in wondering if Obama was going to take guns away or restrict them in some way. It seems that loosing a job seems to be a common thread in these events but nobody seems to look at the stress caused by the economic down turn as a factor in pushing people over the edge.
Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the face of an uplifted knife. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Make yourself sheep, and the wolves will eat you. Benjamin Franklin
Don't blame me, I voted for an American.
R.E.T.

Postby gunflint on Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:27 pm

This was the week that "Obamacide" was born.
The 2nd Amendment is the ONLY amendment in the Bill of Rights that specifies that it shall not be infringed.
gunflint

Postby Tutmos on Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:34 pm

If the current reporting is accurate it sounds like this guy was more of a whiney attention demanding twit. Apparently he was dishonorably discharged from the Marines in boot camp for throwing a food tray at a superior, he couldn't even make it through boot camp without being a baby. I still doubt it had anything to do with gun rights, I think he saw the Oakland shootings and decided he was going to get on TV and top that. He
Tutmos

Postby ttousi on Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:30 pm

Recent info

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,512608,00.html

PITTSBURGH — An ambush that resulted in the shooting deaths of three Pittsburgh policemen was precipitated by an emergency call from the gunman's mother over a dog urinating in the house.

According to court papers, Richard Poplawski and his mother argued about his dog's accident Saturday morning, prompting her to threaten to evict him and to call police.

Click here for photos.

Police have charged the 23-year-old Poplawski with killing three officers and attempting to kill nine others during a four-hour siege.

Poplawski has been arraigned in a local hospital, where he's recovering from gunshot wounds to his legs.

Police say Poplawski was heavily armed and wearing a bulletproof vest when he killed the first two officers on sight. His mother opened the door for police, saw the shootings and then fled to the basement.
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby nyffman on Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:49 am

Buckle up. Here's the latest.
PITTSBURGH -- A 22-year-man who shot and killed three Pittsburgh police officers over the weekend had been stockpiling guns and ammunition, buying and selling the weapons online "because he believed that as a result of the economic collapse, the police were no longer able to protect society," according to a court report.

I predict, it's going to be a real bumpy ride. :(
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Return to In The News