Congress looking to penalize Swatting

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Congress looking to penalize Swatting

Postby Ironbear on Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:20 am

"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Re: Congress looking to penalize Swatting

Postby Ghost on Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:32 am

Interesting, I figured we'd already be able to do that to these people.
Ghost

Postby LePetomane on Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:56 am

That crime should carry a stiff penalty.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:00 pm

Just fine his arse back to the stone age to pay the costs of police, any damages, and pay the person who it was toward before locking them up.
Bearcatrp

Postby Lumpy on Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:58 pm

Not that I disapprove, but why would this be a federal matter?
Lumpy

Postby Ghost on Sun May 01, 2016 6:32 am

Bearcatrp wrote:Just fine his arse back to the stone age to pay the costs of police, any damages, and pay the person who it was toward before locking them up.

That's a good point, these are non-violent offenders. Jail time is a waste of taxpayer money.
Ghost

Postby harryset on Sun May 01, 2016 2:22 pm

Ankle bracelet, and a wardrobe limited to an orange poopy suit. For a looooooooong time. Oh yeah heavy fine on kid, or parents. Donate their houses to the homeless.
stercus accidit
It's not the LAWS you necessarily have to worry about, it's how the laws are regulated.

Send Me
harryset

Postby Ironbear on Sun May 01, 2016 4:25 pm

Ghost wrote:That's a good point, these are non-violent offenders. Jail time is a waste of taxpayer money.

If their goal is to create a situation, using lies and deceit, to inflict fear and possible violence on other persons, then I would consider them "violent" offenders. Violent and mentally disturbed enough to institutionalise.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Ghost on Sun May 01, 2016 6:02 pm

Ironbear wrote:
Ghost wrote:That's a good point, these are non-violent offenders. Jail time is a waste of taxpayer money.

If their goal is to create a situation, using lies and deceit, to inflict fear and possible violence on other persons, then I would consider them "violent" offenders. Violent and mentally disturbed enough to institutionalise.

How long do they send away kids that do bomb threats?
Ghost

Postby atomic41 on Tue May 03, 2016 6:13 am

Hmm, not many details in that article. I wonder if this would cover the people that do swatting to open carriers too? Bloomberg's mommies have called out to all their minions to call 911 anytime they see someone carrying a firearm and they have expressed the intent to have their victims be shot by responding police and hopefully killed.
atomic41

Postby Pat Cannon on Tue May 03, 2016 8:04 am

The one possible silver lining to swatting is maybe it's made the cops more likely to double-check an address, and an informant.
Pat Cannon

Postby andrewP on Sat May 07, 2016 6:48 am

If the person getting "swatted," or someone else in the residence happens to be armed, REALLY bad things could happen. The "swatter" could reasonably be considered to be at fault for any death/great bodily harm that occurs as a result of their "prank."
andrewP

Postby CraigJS on Sat May 07, 2016 1:48 pm

At 64 I know zero about online gaming but, how are the people making the swat call getting the " victims" address ? Is it someone they know well enough to have this info ? Are the people running the online site giving out this info ? With today's technology can't the PD find the BG. Something stinks here or is it just spider sense...
CraigJS

Postby Nougat on Sat May 07, 2016 2:29 pm

CraigJS wrote:At 64 I know zero about online gaming but, how are the people making the swat call getting the " victims" address ? Is it someone they know well enough to have this info ? Are the people running the online site giving out this info ? With today's technology can't the PD find the BG. Something stinks here or is it just spider sense...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_ ... r_security)

you can find a person by their ip address I forget the word for doing so. its not that high level of a hacker thing?
the people finding others are good at being untrackable/hiding, is why they are harder to catch.
Nougat

Return to In The News