I-394 shut down in Minnetonka after shots reported

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: I-394 shut down in Minnetonka after shots reported

Postby ComradeBurg on Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:01 pm

Tommy Gun wrote:Do Golden Valley cop cars have dash cameras? If they do, that should go a long way to addressing what happened.

If so releasing the footage could potentially clear this entire mess up. According to the Star Tribune article the woman got out of her car which would likely give a clear picture of her via a dashboard camera:

After Zarrett tried to pull her over, Gordon stopped her white Honda Civic next to the interstate median near the Hopkins Crossroad overpass. The source said that she immediately got out of her car and raised a small handgun in the direction of the officer, who was behind her car. Zarrett fired at her after seeing the gun, the source said.

If she did pull a gun on the officer I completely understand why he shot her.
Check out my Truth About Guns podcast at http://truthaboutguns.com/

Also check out my blog at http://blog.christopherburg.com/
ComradeBurg

Postby Tommy Gun on Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:50 pm

Also, contrast how this shooting was handled (i.e. lack of detail provided) versus a relatively recent case where a LEO also shot and killed a woman. If I remember correctly, they released almost immediately that she had drugs in the car, she drove off, officer was hung up on car and shot in self defense.

I am not judging the officer in this case. I'm just pointing out the differences in how the cases were/are being handled. It may just be differences in philosophy of the leadership in the respective departments.
When you are on the horns of a dilemma, shoot the bull right between the eyes.
Tommy Gun

Postby goalie on Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:39 pm

Tommy Gun wrote:Also, contrast how this shooting was handled (i.e. lack of detail provided) versus a relatively recent case where a LEO also shot and killed a woman. If I remember correctly, they released almost immediately that she had drugs in the car, she drove off, officer was hung up on car and shot in self defense.

I am not judging the officer in this case. I'm just pointing out the differences in how the cases were/are being handled. It may just be differences in philosophy of the leadership in the respective departments.

And I will point out that anyone releasing specifics of the lady who got shot's mental health records would be in violation of federal law. That kinda makes for less fluff in the story....
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby Snowgun on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:24 pm

goalie wrote:
Tommy Gun wrote:Also, contrast how this shooting was handled (i.e. lack of detail provided) versus a relatively recent case where a LEO also shot and killed a woman. If I remember correctly, they released almost immediately that she had drugs in the car, she drove off, officer was hung up on car and shot in self defense.

And I will point out that anyone releasing specifics of the lady who got shot's mental health records would be in violation of federal law. That kinda makes for less fluff in the story....

Is HIPPA an issue if you are dead?
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby Heffay on Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:22 am

Snowgun wrote:
goalie wrote:

Not everyone associated with this incident is dead. She may no longer care who releases her info, but the Feds do.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby Rotary12 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:53 am

sarc/
Isn't everyone that has a gun deranged?
/sarc
Rotary12

Liberate the U.S.
Support the Constitution
Remember 19 April 1775
Rotary12

Postby photogpat on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:10 am

So, story now is that the woman had previously identified herself as a danger to self and others....and how was she not committed. No one is asking these questions, why?
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby tman on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:20 am

photogpat wrote:So, story now is that the woman had previously identified herself as a danger to self and others....and how was she not committed. No one is asking these questions, why?

What kind of questions should you be asking? I can think of a good one. Why did the hospital let her go?

Full of fear before dying on I-394

Several weeks before she was fatally shot by a Golden Valley police officer, Katherine Gordon told police in Edina that the devil was talking to her and that she needed to be locked up to prevent her from harming herself or others.

Gordon, who had just arrived in the area from California, said she believed that the "spirit" of Satan or the devil was inside her and told her told her go to the police, according to the report taken when she went to the Edina Police Department seeking help July 26.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby photogpat on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:27 am

tman wrote:
photogpat wrote:So, story now is that the woman had previously identified herself as a danger to self and others....and how was she not committed. No one is asking these questions, why?

What kind of questions should you be asking? I can think of a good one. Why did the hospital let her go?

Full of fear before dying on I-394

Several weeks before she was fatally shot by a Golden Valley police officer, Katherine Gordon told police in Edina that the devil was talking to her and that she needed to be locked up to prevent her from harming herself or others.

Gordon, who had just arrived in the area from California, said she believed that the "spirit" of Satan or the devil was inside her and told her told her go to the police, according to the report taken when she went to the Edina Police Department seeking help July 26.

I'm saying that Heather and Company will be using this incident as an example of handguns causing blood in the streets (literally), while ignoring the fact that this woman clearly presented herself and was ignored (shuffled)...
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby LarryP on Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:01 am

What a sad story & ending. May she find the peace in death she couldn't find in life
LarryP

Postby goalie on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:32 am

Snowgun wrote:

Yes, it is. A big one.

Think of it this way: I am at work. They call a Dr Blue. I go to the room with the rest of the code team. We work on someone for a while, they die. The person is famous. **THEY ARE NOW DEAD** I go talk to the media about why they died (maybe the Dr Blue was called due to an overdose of illegal meds smuggled in by a friend), what happened during the code, etc.... I start my new job as a nursing assistant in a nursing home because I just lost my license.....

Get the point?
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby mnglocker on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:45 am

I for one commend the officer for his actions. I believe he leads by example. We as Minnesotans should push for a law that would automatically legalize the use of deadly force when dealing with Californians in any capacity.
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby mflander on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:58 am

mnglocker wrote:I for one commend the officer for his actions. I believe he leads by example. We as Minnesotans should push for a law that would automatically legalize the use of deadly force when dealing with Californians in any capacity.

Actually had me laughing out loud on this one :)
mflander

Postby mrp on Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:09 pm

goalie wrote:
Snowgun wrote:Is HIPPA an issue if you are dead?

Yes, it is. A big one.

Is HIPPA an issue if you're a cop, or a private citizen who just happens to know stuff? IOW, who is bound by HIPPA rules?
mrp

Postby Snowgun on Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:26 pm

goalie wrote:
Snowgun wrote:

Yes, it is. A big one.

Think of it this way: I am at work. They call a Dr Blue. I go to the room with the rest of the code team. We work on someone for a while, they die. The person is famous. **THEY ARE NOW DEAD** I go talk to the media about why they died (maybe the Dr Blue was called due to an overdose of illegal meds smuggled in by a friend), what happened during the code, etc.... I start my new job as a nursing assistant in a nursing home because I just lost my license.....

Get the point?

To use your example, every time a celebrity dies the coroner reports the findings. Is that not a release of info buddy? Think Michael Jackson, Heath Ledger, etc. I don't see anyone screaming HIPAA there. I think the waters are murkier here than you think....Medical examiners, funeral directors, executors of the estate, family members, researchers, etc can get their hands on the info....

And autopsy records are public. Since the question as to the shooting might be intricately linked to her condition ( Had schizophrenia - was shot, just like had widowmaker blockage, had Infarction) this might legally see the light of day...

From one source:
You may disclose PHI to a coroner or medical examiner for the purpose of identifying a deceased person, determining a cause of death, or complying with other duties as authorized by law. No prior consents or authorizations are required. Note that psychotherapy notes may be released without authorization to a coroner or medical examiner.

If you suspect that a death resulted from criminal conduct, you can disclose PHI about the deceased individual to a law enforcement official to alert the authorities to the death.

Get the point?
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to In The News