Surprising surge in gun onwership by Democrats

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Surprising surge in gun onwership by Democrats

Postby Lumpy on Wed Sep 25, 2024 7:25 pm

https://www.foxnews.com/media/surprisin ... new-report

Fox News isn't the greatest source in my opinion but they extensively quote the original article in the Wall Street Journal, which is paywalled. Apparently rank and file Democrats are rebelling against the party's "banning guns will make everyone safer" rhetoric.

Could it be that someday we might see the word "liberal" go back to meaning "in favor of greater freedom"?
Lumpy

Re: Surprising surge in gun onwership by Democrats

Postby Markemp on Wed Sep 25, 2024 7:39 pm

As a liberal gun owner, I’m amazed it took this long for people to realize that liberals love their guns just as much as conservatives.
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Postby xd ED on Wed Sep 25, 2024 8:34 pm

Lumpy wrote:https://www.foxnews.com/media/surprising-gun-ownership-rise-among-liberals-according-new-report

Fox News isn't the greatest source in my opinion but they extensively quote the original article in the Wall Street Journal, which is paywalled. Apparently rank and file Democrats are rebelling against the party's "banning guns will make everyone safer" rhetoric.

Could it be that someday we might see the word "liberal" go back to meaning "in favor of greater freedom"?

Has anything really changed?
There is an element of the left that has always favored firearm ownership; for themselves…for YOU: not so much.
What is the position of these liberal gun owners with regards to arming schools’ staff?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby crbutler on Thu Sep 26, 2024 12:16 pm

Markemp wrote:As a liberal gun owner, I’m amazed it took this long for people to realize that liberals love their guns just as much as conservatives.

If this is the case, then why do their politicians continually try and ban firearms and access?

Why do you continually support politicians who attack this right?
crbutler

Postby Lumpy on Thu Sep 26, 2024 12:56 pm

From the link:

Democrats have historically been gun owners, but started trending away from having firearms in the "early 90s" when "increasingly divisive political battles over the role of firearms in American society led the Democratic Party to become an advocate for gun regulation. Republicans became the party of gun rights."

Now they are "rediscovering guns," the piece noted, citing statistics showing that Democratic gun ownership is on the rise from record lows.

"Twenty-nine percent of Democrats or those leaning Democrat said they had a gun at home in 2022, up from a four-decade low of 22% in 2010,"
Lumpy

Postby Markemp on Thu Sep 26, 2024 12:59 pm

crbutler wrote:
Markemp wrote:As a liberal gun owner, I’m amazed it took this long for people to realize that liberals love their guns just as much as conservatives.

If this is the case, then why do their politicians continually try and ban firearms and access?

Rights aren't unlimited. The First Amendment has a lot of carve outs where someone's speech isn't protected, for example.

Harris isn't going to ban private gun ownership. And it's just plain fearmongering to say otherwise. Be better.
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Postby Jackpine Savage on Thu Sep 26, 2024 2:14 pm

crbutler wrote:

On one hand you have the useful idiots, on the other are the communists in charge.
"I'll just store it at my place in Arizona. :lol:" - Markemp - 2/18/24
Jackpine Savage

Postby jdege on Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:32 pm

Markemp wrote:Harris isn't going to ban private gun ownership. And it's just plain fearmongering to say otherwise. Be better.

The question isn't whether some corporate bigwig is still allowed to go grouse hunting with his $30,000 over-and-under.

It's whether a nurse, working third shift in an inner city hospital, can easily obtain an inexpensive, effective, and easily-concealable handgun, and legally carry it on her person, because she, not the police chief, not the sheriff, not the mayor, not her employer, but she, thinks that'd she be safer during that long lonely walk through the parking ramp.

Even if she's wrong, because it's her life and her choice.

Anything less than that simply doesn't matter.

And yes, Harris would allow some people to own some guns. But she'd outlaw the ones that are most important.
jdege

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Oct 03, 2024 6:21 am

Markemp wrote:
crbutler wrote:

Rights aren't unlimited. The First Amendment has a lot of carve outs where someone's speech isn't protected, for example.

Harris isn't going to ban private gun ownership. And it's just plain fearmongering to say otherwise. Be better.

Be honest, be better.

Are full autos “banned”, technically no, practically yes. I think you are aware of the strategy.
Holland&Holland

Postby IvanTheTerribleShot on Thu Oct 03, 2024 8:23 am

Markemp wrote:Harris isn't going to ban private gun ownership. And it's just plain fearmongering to say otherwise. Be better.

Quoting Harris. "Just because you legally possess a gun in the sanctity of your locked home doesn't mean that we're not going to walk into that home and check to see if you're being responsible."
(I posted a YT ink a few days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLST0ppOKEc.) I believe her. Maybe I will be allowed to have a gun locked in a government-approved safe in a disabled condition, and ammunition locked in another safe; but in my view, it's close enough to banning private gun ownership altogether.

I also believed you when you said you are going to snitch on fellow shooters and report them to authorities for violating whatever stupid regulations there are. You see, your idea of "better" might not work for others.
IvanTheTerribleShot

Postby Ranb on Tue Oct 08, 2024 2:24 pm

IvanTheTerribleShot wrote:Quoting Harris. "Just because you legally possess a gun in the sanctity of your locked home doesn't mean that we're not going to walk into that home and check to see if you're being responsible."

Quoting Trump; "Take the guns first, go through due process second". It is rare to actually have a pro-gun politician in DC anymore. The GOP is absolutely not our friend anymore.
My gun collection has killed at least five fewer people than the Kennedy clan has with automobiles, airplanes and golf clubs.
Ranb

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Oct 08, 2024 4:26 pm

Ranb wrote:
IvanTheTerribleShot wrote:Quoting Harris. "Just because you legally possess a gun in the sanctity of your locked home doesn't mean that we're not going to walk into that home and check to see if you're being responsible."

Quoting Trump; "Take the guns first, go through due process second". It is rare to actually have a pro-gun politician in DC anymore. The GOP is absolutely not our friend anymore.

Where did you get this quote?
Bearcatrp

Postby Ranb on Tue Oct 08, 2024 9:37 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Where did you get this quote?

You're kidding, right? The video has been out there for years.
https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4716589/ ... ess-second

I've posted the video on this forum before in the past.
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=66358&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15
My gun collection has killed at least five fewer people than the Kennedy clan has with automobiles, airplanes and golf clubs.
Ranb

Return to In The News