Biden drops out, endorses Harris.

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Biden drops out, endorses Harris.

Postby Ranb on Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:53 am

Do you seen the irony in Trump having a gun grab, then the judges he appointed reversing it? While I was following the Supreme Court argument, I was wondering if they would do the right thing and reverse the Trump gun grab, or let it stay in force. It was after all, something Trump did.

The NFA of 1934 and the GCA of 1968 were the only major gun control legislation passed by Congress. Everything else has been minor in comparison until the FOPA of 1986 and the AWB of 1994. I cannot say that any president was actually anti-gun other than FDR, until Johnson. But Johnson was not a gun grabber.

The recent anti-gun presidents, in my opinion, have been Reagan, Clinton, W. Bush, Obama, Trump and Biden. By word or deed, they were anti-gun. As far as I can tell, Trump grabbed the most guns.
My gun collection has killed at least five fewer people than the Kennedy clan has with automobiles, airplanes and golf clubs.
Ranb

Postby Lumpy on Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:26 am

Ranb wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:I think it is very gun owning American's duty to bad mouth Trump until the RNC gets their head out of their ass and nominates a more suitable candidate.
Or else what- gun owners will vote Democrat? The 'Pubs take gun owners for granted because they know they can.
Lumpy

Postby Ranb on Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:31 am

Lumpy wrote:
Ranb wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:I think it is very gun owning American's duty to bad mouth Trump until the RNC gets their head out of their ass and nominates a more suitable candidate.
Or else what- gun owners will vote Democrat? The 'Pubs take gun owners for granted because they know they can.

No, vote for a more suitable GOP candidate. They do exist. I'll not slit my gun owning wrists by voting for Harris.
My gun collection has killed at least five fewer people than the Kennedy clan has with automobiles, airplanes and golf clubs.
Ranb

Postby xd ED on Fri Jul 26, 2024 10:11 am

Ranb wrote:No, vote for a more suitable GOP candidate. They do exist. I'll not slit my gun owning wrists by voting for Harris.

Tell us you're supporting harris without telling us you're supporting harris.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby warrlac on Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:04 pm

Ranb wrote:[I think it is very gun owning American's duty to bad mouth Trump until the RNC gets their head out of their ass and nominates a more suitable candidate.

Clearly you are well versed on 2A issues and knowledgeable about many of the political actors around the country. I'm not following you when you talk about gun grabber Trump however? I'm aware of the recently overturned Bump Stock order but nothing else comes to mind. Certainly I am thankful for the three Constitutionalists he appointed to the US Supreme Court.

In the upcoming election (really all modern day elections), the voter is facing a Hostage's Choice on who to support. Trump is not ideal. He is however endorsed by the NRA as well as most 2A organizations around the country.

Just take a look at who's on the other side and endorsed by Mom's Demand Action, Everytown, Protect Minnesota, Giffords, Gun Owners for Safety...? They are all true gun grabbers and are supported by the most liberal political donors in our nation. Take a look at the 39 anti-gun owner bills proposed in Minnesota last session. They ranged from banning ammunition to outright cancellation of the 2nd Amendment. You only have to look at the Minnesota DFL Caucus' priorities or the DNC's platform and the choice becomes very easy.

I'll vote GOP every time even if the candidate is not ideal.
warrlac

Postby Ranb on Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:49 pm

warrlac wrote:Clearly you are well versed on 2A issues and knowledgeable about many of the political actors around the country. I'm not following you when you talk about gun grabber Trump however? I'm aware of the recently overturned Bump Stock order but nothing else comes to mind. Certainly I am thankful for the three Constitutionalists he appointed to the US Supreme Court.

Just take a look at who's on the other side and endorsed by Mom's Demand Action, Everytown, Protect Minnesota, Giffords, Gun Owners for Safety...? They are all true gun grabbers and are supported by the most liberal political donors in our nation.

I'll vote GOP every time even if the candidate is not ideal.

Why are you not well versed on 2A issues? Trump is a gun grabber; his bump stock ban proved it. It was not that bump stocks were banned, it is how he accomplished it. He could have waited for Congress to pass a bill outlawing bump stocks, possibly with a buy-back scheme like they did in Washington state and other places, then he could have been the hero and vetoed it.

Instead Trump banned bump stocks the only way a president can. Amending the Code of Federal Regulations is how any president enforces existing laws. Trump ordered the ATF to write a rule that classified bump stocks as machine guns. Since 1934 machine guns have been required to be registered. Since 1986 (thank you Reagan) the civilian machine gun registry has been closed. Since bump stocks were invented long after 1986, they all became contraband in 2019 when Trump's new regulation went into affect.

Trump just wanted to make his mark on society by having his own gun grab.

That is why Trump is a true gun grabber by any definition. He f*ucked over as many as half a million law abiding American by ordering the confiscation of their property without compensation. As far as I know, this is the largest gun grab in American history. His gun grab was not even intended to save any lives, ever. The shooter (Paddock) in Vegas had the means to buy real machine guns, or he could have bump fired without a bump stocks as it is not that hard. While his motive is not known, no one was ever stupid enough to claim he murdered all of those people because he had access to bump stocks.

I don't know how many forced reset triggers the Biden administration had confiscated in 2022, or how many spring loaded bump stocks Bush accounted for in 2006, or how many people lost their guns due the Lattenburg Amendment during the Clinton administration, but it may have been far less than the up to the half million on Trump's score card.

Trump gun grab was not enough for him. He wanted red flag laws passed which would somehow allow a person to lose any of their guns without any due process. That is insane. How would that work anyway? If I think my neighbor is a threat, I can just take his guns without informing the police or the court, then let him figure it out later? No one have been able to tell me WTF Trump was thinking.

Trump also wanted to raise the age to buy semi-auto guns from 18 to 21.

Trump gun grab. https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR- ... -27763.pdf
Lautenberg Amendment. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_ ... er_Gun_Ban
Trump opposes due process on gun grabs. Watch at 45 minutes. https://www.c-span.org/video/?441884-1/ ... CWXKfP6wn4
Trump wants age limit to buy guns raised. https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/preside ... d=53421961
Forced reset triggers. https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/open- ... s/download
Bush 2006 bump stock ban. https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/rulin ... e/download
Ranb

Postby Ranb on Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:55 pm

xd ED wrote:
Ranb wrote:No, vote for a more suitable GOP candidate. They do exist. I'll not slit my gun owning wrists by voting for Harris.

Not supporting Harris. I want to support any GOP nomination other than Trump. How are we going to protect our 2A rights by voting for Harris. Explain that one.
Ranb

Postby Ranb on Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:59 pm

IvanTheTerribleShot wrote:In fairness, Trump's nomination of three supreme court judges helped the 2A cause in an indirect but immense way.
Besides, there were rather few pro-gun US Presidents during our lifetimes; correct me, but I think only G.W.Bush counts in recent memory (his father not quite), not even Reagan. I am too young to remember Eisenhower.

George W. Bush was anti-gun. He had his own gun grab and claimed he would authorize the continuation of AWB94 if Congress sent him the bill.

Would extend AWB94. https://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/09 ... apons.ban/
Bush 2006 bump stock ban. https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/rulin ... e/download
Ranb

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Jul 26, 2024 7:30 pm

You still haven't told us who your ideal candidate is.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Ranb on Fri Jul 26, 2024 7:39 pm

A Republican who is pro-gun, tough on crime, pro-military, secures the border, does not control how people live, etc. Like something closer to Ike instead of Trump or W. Bush.
Ranb

Postby xd ED on Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:30 pm

Ranb wrote:
xd ED wrote:

Not supporting Harris. I want to support any GOP nomination other than Trump. How are we going to protect our 2A rights by voting for Harris. Explain that one.

The math makes it simple.
There are two candidates capable of being elected the next president.
If one does anything other than voting for President Trump, like it or not, the effect will be supporting the harris campaign.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby xd ED on Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:31 pm

Ranb wrote:A Republican who is pro-gun, tough on crime, pro-military, secures the border, does not control how people live, etc. Like something closer to Ike instead of Trump or W. Bush.

To quote a friend:

You still haven't told us who your ideal candidate is.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:44 pm

Ranb wrote:A Republican who is pro-gun, tough on crime, pro-military, secures the border, does not control how people live, etc. Like something closer to Ike instead of Trump or W. Bush.

Who?
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Chunkychuck on Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:50 pm

From what I have read, your ideal candidate sounds a lot like J.D. Vance. If we are playing the long game, a win by Trump in '24 certainly would put Vance in the driver seat for '28, unless he isn't what he seems,which I don't believe is the case.
Chunkychuck

Postby Ranb on Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:10 pm

When I figure it out, then I will let you know. Do you really think the GOP can't do better than Trump?
Ranb

PreviousNext

Return to In The News