Media using Freedom Of Information Act to get gun owners inf

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Media using Freedom Of Information Act to get gun owners inf

Postby benny on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:42 pm

I was watching the news tonight and saw that a news paper in CT where those kids were killed went and used the FOIA and got gun owners names and addresses to post in their paper to show how many own guns localy. All they did was post where the bad guys can go to rip off another gun to go kill people with. How smart are these news paper thuggs any way??

Benny
benny

Re: Media using Freedom Of Information Act to get gun owners inf

Postby bstrawse on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:05 am

It was White Plains, NY, not CT... but White Plains is fairly close to Newtown..

http://www.lohud.com/article/20121226/N ... -criticism

b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Lunchbox on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:26 am

This happened again? Or was this the same incident from last week?
"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all of its students" - Robin Williams
"You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington." - Ash Williams
Lunchbox

Postby CUZICAN on Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:13 am

Same - mainstream media is usually 2-3 days out on this stuff.
"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry."

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
CUZICAN

Postby ex-LT on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:06 am

benny wrote:I was watching the news tonight and saw that a news paper in CT where those kids were killed went and used the FOIA and got gun owners names and addresses to post in their paper to show how many own guns localy. All they did was post where the bad guys can go to rip off another gun to go kill people with. How smart are these news paper thuggs any way??

Benny

According to a study conducted by Carnegie Mellon University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, that isn't necessarily the case.

In 2008, the Commercial Appeal in Memphis published a searchable database of concealed-carry handgun permit owners in Tennessee that included names and ZIP codes of gun owners (but not addresses). A similar furor followed. "What they've done is give criminals a lighted pathway to [burglarize] the homes of gun owners," Chris Cox, now the top lobbyist for the National Rifle Assn., told the paper at the time.

But that concern turned out to be wrong, according to the 2010 study by Alessandro Acquisti, an associate professor at Carnegie Mellon, and Catherine Tucker, a professor at MIT, titled "Guns, Privacy and Crime."

Using the information published by the Commercial Appeal, they found burglaries in 2009 declined 18% in the city's ZIP codes with the most concealed-carry permits and generally increased in ZIP codes with the fewest.

The researchers found no difference for violent crimes, such as assault, that often lack premeditation.

The study also suggested that, following publication of the Memphis database, burglary risk instead shifted to areas with fewer gun registrations. In fact, the study noted that the "results suggest that, despite activism on the part of gun owners against the publication of such databases, it may actually be gun permit holders who benefi ted" from publication.

LINK to L.A. Times story

LINK to CMU/MIT study
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby tazdevil on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:10 am

Is this against the law to do in MN?
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Postby Mn01r6 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:31 am

Minn. Stat. 624.714 Subd. 15 wrote:(a) The commissioner must maintain an automated database of persons authorized to carry pistols under this section that is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, only to law enforcement agencies, including prosecutors carrying out their duties under subdivision 8a, to verify the validity of a permit.

Minn. Stat. 624.714 Subd. 20 wrote:(d) Nothing contained in any provision of this section or any other law requires or authorizes the registration, documentation, collection, or providing of serial numbers or other data on firearms or on firearms' owners.

]MN DPS wrote: Is there a public list of gun permit holders, or can I obtain a list or call local law enforcement to find out individuals in my community who have a permit to carry?
No. This is private data and is not available to the public.

Minnesota also has an invasion of privacy lawsuit called "publication of private facts" which is similar to defamation but used when private information is disclosed publicly (as opposed to defamation where false information is disclosed). I don't know if it would specifically apply to a gun permit (PTP or PTC) but I think a strong argument could be made.
Mn01r6

Postby Dick Unger on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:32 am

Yes. The people who drafted our MPPA specified that Permit Information is classed as Private Data on Individuals. Under the Data Practice Act. everything is public, unless it's not. Permit stuff is classified as NOT.
Dick Unger

Postby Lunchbox on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:59 am

ex-LT wrote:
benny wrote:I was watching the news tonight and saw that a news paper in CT where those kids were killed went and used the FOIA and got gun owners names and addresses to post in their paper to show how many own guns localy. All they did was post where the bad guys can go to rip off another gun to go kill people with. How smart are these news paper thuggs any way??

Benny

According to a study conducted by Carnegie Mellon University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, that isn't necessarily the case.

In 2008, the Commercial Appeal in Memphis published a searchable database of concealed-carry handgun permit owners in Tennessee that included names and ZIP codes of gun owners (but not addresses). A similar furor followed. "What they've done is give criminals a lighted pathway to [burglarize] the homes of gun owners," Chris Cox, now the top lobbyist for the National Rifle Assn., told the paper at the time.

But that concern turned out to be wrong, according to the 2010 study by Alessandro Acquisti, an associate professor at Carnegie Mellon, and Catherine Tucker, a professor at MIT, titled "Guns, Privacy and Crime."

Using the information published by the Commercial Appeal, they found burglaries in 2009 declined 18% in the city's ZIP codes with the most concealed-carry permits and generally increased in ZIP codes with the fewest.

The researchers found no difference for violent crimes, such as assault, that often lack premeditation.

The study also suggested that, following publication of the Memphis database, burglary risk instead shifted to areas with fewer gun registrations. In fact, the study noted that the "results suggest that, despite activism on the part of gun owners against the publication of such databases, it may actually be gun permit holders who benefi ted" from publication.

LINK to L.A. Times story

LINK to CMU/MIT study

There's one glaring difference between the two here, one was name and zip code. The other is actually enough information to drive to someone's house (name and full address). Personally, thats a fact I wouldn't want released by anybody but me to the people that need to know or that I want to know.
"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all of its students" - Robin Williams
"You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington." - Ash Williams
Lunchbox

Postby Thunderjohn on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:06 pm

If I was a bad guy with any sense I'd try and burglarize non-gun owner homes.
If I found a gun it would be a plus, but to knowingly break in to a home where I knew there
were guns and gun owners would just be stupid.
FFL - http://www.Southwest-Arms.com
God, Family, Business
Emails to SouthwestArms@Gmail.com
Thunderjohn

Postby XDM45 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:30 pm

Dick Unger wrote:Yes. The people who drafted our MPPA specified that Permit Information is classed as Private Data on Individuals. Under the Data Practice Act. everything is public, unless it's not. Permit stuff is classified as NOT.

Which was wise of them.

To my knowledge (and any LEOs correct me on this.......) even the cops don't know if you're a PTC holder unless you tell them. They verify it by calling into the Dispatcher who then checks with the MN BCA via access to the MN BCA systems.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby tman on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:36 pm

XDM45 wrote:
To my knowledge (and any LEOs correct me on this.......) even the cops don't know if you're a PTC holder unless you tell them. They verify it by calling into the Dispatcher who then checks with the MN BCA via access to the MN BCA systems.

A query and response takes less than 30 seconds through dispatch. I just need your name and date of birth.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby MasonK on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:39 pm

Thunderjohn wrote:If I was a bad guy with any sense I'd try and burglarize non-gun owner homes.
If I found a gun it would be a plus, but to knowingly break in to a home where I knew there

But if it guns you want, you'll know where to find them on this map. My friend was robbed of his entire safe. The safe was not tiny, and it was bolted to the concrete floor. It was clearly a well planned burglary against a gun owner.
MasonK

Postby XDM45 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:44 pm

tman wrote:
XDM45 wrote:

A query and response takes less than 30 seconds through dispatch. I just need your name and date of birth.

Right on. LEOs in the field can't directly access it since they are on the MN BCA network, still 30 seconds is fast enough. Good to know. I've never been stopped while carrying, which I'm sure will happen someday possibly.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby XDM45 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:45 pm

MasonK wrote:
Thunderjohn wrote:If I was a bad guy with any sense I'd try and burglarize non-gun owner homes.

But if it guns you want, you'll know where to find them on this map. My friend was robbed of his entire safe. The safe was not tiny, and it was bolted to the concrete floor. It was clearly a well planned burglary against a gun owner.

Yeah, he was definitely targeted.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Next

Return to General Gun Chat