AR Tools

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

AR Tools

Postby engnerdan on Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:59 am

What tools are needed to assemble a AR from parts? Which brands/models of tools are junk and which are good?

From looking around it looks like these are the tools needed

Barrel Nut wrench
Upper filler/clamping block
Lower filler/clamping block
Seismic Sam wrote:When it launches, the marketing will hit you in the face like the shrapnal from a methane explosion in a 3 holer outhouse!! :P :P :P
engnerdan

Re: AR Tools

Postby brado on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:05 am

Made my own blocks.
brado

Postby Hmac on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:17 am

Yes, barrel wrench. Also, lower receiver vise block (mag well block works best), upper cover vise block (recommend DPMS Panther claw). For wrenching on the muzzle device, make a barrel clamp out of a couple of wooden 2x4 blocks with a groove cut across the grain...wrap the barrel in a little moist leather. You'll also need a set of punches, and probably some roll pin punches, and an armorer's wrench for the castle nut. Torque wrench is a good idea too. And some blue LocTite.
Hmac

Postby Hammer99... on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:39 pm

I own/use all of the following. They are all very good quality. I went through several cheap punches before settling on the Brownells.

Need
DPMS AR-Multi tool
DPMS upper receiver block
Brownells Roll Pin Punches
Torque Wrench - Any quality brand
Starrett Taper pin starter (for pinned gas blocks/FSBs, have to have for most free float tubes) this tool is OK. I did chip one on a very stubborn pin...

Nice to have
Brownells extra large bench block
Brownells Front sight bench block
Brownells Roll pin holders
Brownells Roll pin starter punches
Lower receiver block
Bolt catch pin punch
pivot pin detent installation tool
I love it when a plan comes together!
Hammer99...

Postby Squib Joe on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:45 pm

A very small arbor press for the trigger guard pin and FSB taper pins is nice.. not worth buying but dig it out if you have one
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

AR Tools

Postby Hammer99... on Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:01 pm

I also have head space gauges. I've yet to need them but I always use them.
I love it when a plan comes together!
Hammer99...

Postby rockcreek on Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:06 pm

All you really need is an armorers wrench, torque wrench, a set of punches, and go and no-go gauges. The vise blocks are nice, but not a necessity. Your first build might take an hour, after you do a couple it takes about 20 minutes.
rockcreek

Re: Re: AR Tools

Postby snlit3 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:33 pm

rockcreek wrote:All you really need is an armorers wrench, torque wrench, a set of punches, and go and no-go gauges. The vise blocks are nice, but not a necessity. Your first build might take an hour, after you do a couple it takes about 20 minutes.

That's all I've used
snlit3

Postby Hmac on Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:15 pm

Squib Joe wrote:A very small arbor press for the trigger guard pin and FSB taper pins is nice.. not worth buying but dig it out if you have one

Installing an FSB is a critical procedure. If I build a rifle that uses an FSB, I send it out to a real gunsmith (Adco) so that I can be comfortable that the FSP will be aligned and barrel drilled correctly. As for the trigger guard, that also is critical because doing it wrong will break off one of the ears, in which case the lower receiver is basically toast. I've pounded several of them in with good luck (must use a good roll pin punch and an appropriate wooden backstop), but last couple of builds I've pressed them in with a Vise-Grip and that caused me far less anxiety. An arbor press would certainly work well, but never thought to spend the money on one.

I've never bothered with go/no-go gauges, but have always used quality upper receivers, BCGs, and barrels.
Hmac

Postby Squib Joe on Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:27 pm

40 bucks at Harbor.. like I said, handy but not essential. They crack a walnut pretty well too

"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Hmac on Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:21 am

Squib Joe wrote:40 bucks at Harbor.. like I said, handy but not essential. They crack a walnut pretty well too

I have that press...use it for pressing rivets in making Kydex holsters. I'll have to consider using if next time I install a trigger guard, but I dont think I'd buy one just for that purpose.
Hmac

Postby MnHornet on Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:29 am

I use one of those spring loaded center punches on the roll pins. Light tension so you don't flare the end, and snap them right in.
Proud to be Deplorable.
MnHornet

Postby 2in2out on Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:42 am

Leatherman MUT?

I don't have an AR, but I think I need one anyway :lol:
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby rugersol on Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:20 am

MnHornet wrote:I use one of those spring loaded center punches on the roll pins. Light tension so you don't flare the end, and snap them right in.

yer talkin' about this? ... http://menards.com/main/tools-hardware/hand-tools/chisels-files-punches/automatic-center-punch/p-1465899-c-9122.htm ...

what'd ya do? ... file the the point to fit a 3/32 roll pin? :|

Got any pics?

I've got one of them ... use it a lot ... never fer an AR, though ... that'd be slick!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby MnHornet on Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:24 pm

rugersol wrote:
MnHornet wrote:I use one of those spring loaded center punches on the roll pins. Light tension so you don't flare the end, and snap them right in.

yer talkin' about this? ... http://menards.com/main/tools-hardware/hand-tools/chisels-files-punches/automatic-center-punch/p-1465899-c-9122.htm ...

what'd ya do? ... file the the point to fit a 3/32 roll pin? :|

Got any pics?

I've got one of them ... use it a lot ... never fer an AR, though ... that'd be slick!

Yep, that's what I use on the roll pins. I didn't modify mine at all, the tip fits inside the roll pin, so it doesn't slip off. I think it's alot easier than using a hammer and a punch. The one I have is adjustable.
Proud to be Deplorable.
MnHornet

Next

Return to General Gun Chat