Electronic hearing protection for hunting?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Electronic hearing protection for hunting?

Postby goalie on Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:43 pm

So, do any of you handgun hunters use electronic protection, muffs or other? I am already partially deaf due to unprotected shooting while in the Corps, and I don't want to lose more.

I have heard good things about the Pro Ears Predator muffs. What do you guys who use electronic protection think about the model you use. I want the good, the bad, and the ugly.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Re: Electronic hearing protection for hunting?

Postby Pat on Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:48 pm

Nawh. There's nothing left on Cobb's land anyway...
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby westberg on Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:25 pm

goalie wrote:So, do any of you handgun hunters use electronic protection, muffs or other? I am already partially deaf due to unprotected shooting while in the Corps, and I don't want to lose more.

I have heard good things about the Pro Ears Predator muffs. What do you guys who use electronic protection think about the model you use. I want the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I have the Pro Ear's and do recommend them (we also sell them) because of their electronics are very good and you do pay for it. A few years ago I picked up a lower cost, forgot the brand at the moment, I gave them to my dad and he wear's them while hunting. He's concerned with doing damage to he regular hearing aids. I think you can get away just about any brand when shooting by yourself or hunting because some of the other ones don't always cut out for all of the shots, if that makes sense. I have been also using Sport Ear that are custom fitted in the ears while hunting, it really increases what you can hear.

On the range the Pro Ear's work so fast you don't realize it's cutting in and out (blocking out the sound) and you can carry on a normal conversation. If you want to try a pair before buying let me know.
westberg

Postby hammAR on Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:30 pm

Ron:

Been looking at the Pro Tac 300? Which one do you use?
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby westberg on Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:44 pm

I use the Pro Ears Predator Gold.
westberg

Postby hammAR on Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:14 pm

This model the same
Pro Ears GS-P300-GREEN Predator Gold NRR 26
$205.73 new - ManVentureOutpost
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby westberg on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:12 pm

Not the same as the ones I use if that is what your asking. Pro Ears made some changes to their models this year and I was leaving it up to the boys to keep track of it. I will check into it more when they come in tomorrow.
westberg

Postby farmerj on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:14 pm

custom silicon inserts with Walker Game Ears. Look like regular hearing aids and can be worn under a hat or with a hood on.

Can't tell they are on unless you really have someone look at you.
Last edited by farmerj on Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby Norsesmithy on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:24 pm

I wear a cheap junk set of single microphone Chicom electronic ear muffs while hunting (NRR-27). I got them on clearance for 6 bucks.

I have very good hearing, and I intend to keep it.

Eventually, I want a set of Walker Game Ear 4 mike digital processing muffs, but I have other things I think are more important to buy first.
Norsesmithy

Postby David on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:49 pm

I have the Peltor Sport-Tac model, and a Peltor Tactical (there's that word again) 6S. The Sport-Tac has the best electronics I have ever heard. You don't hear it cutting at all, it just works like a digital limiter so a loud clap of your hands sounds no different than a finger snap. I absolutely love the electronics. Unfortunately, they don't fit me right, and they are loose enough that the seal breaks if I turn my head a certain way. It's fine outdoors, but indoors it makes for some startling moments. I got the 6S because they felt great on my head, much tighter, but the electronics are drastically inferior. The sounds cut noticeably, and they are very inconsistent.

Try before you buy, I guess, and take Ron up on his offer. In fact, Ron, I'm still looking for the perfect set, so I'd like to try 'em too!
David

Postby cobb on Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:33 am

I have Pro Ears and really like them, I personally think the Predator Gold are better then some of their higher priced models. Some Pro Ear models have jumpers so that they can be set up as regular hearing protection, or jumpered in a amplified mode to aid in hearing when hunting.

I do not know the correct term, but Pro Ears do not cut out like some of the less expensive models. I am sure there are several other good brands that do the same, they allow the continuous ability to hear and don't just shut down muffling everything to the volume of none electronic protection. The Pelters I had and the one pair of, I think they were Cadwell junk that I had cut out as the shot, they muffled. The Pro Ears limit the noise, so you can carry on a conversation, hear everything around you even though there are shots being fired.

The cheap ones, the ones that look like Cadwell, translucent ear cups and you can see a red light in them and they cost around $30 or so are junk. I know several that say they are fine, but I have had them get confused or slow when there is a lot of shots doing off. They are just transitioning from their muffled mode to normal mode and will not respond when a shot it fired, so you get a real nice amplified gun blast to your ear.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby JoeH on Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:32 am

I need a new set myself and am trying to decide between the Pro Ears and the Sordins. I've heard some really good things about the Sordin product.
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby westberg on Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:38 am

hammAR wrote:This model the same
Pro Ears GS-P300-GREEN Predator Gold NRR 26
$205.73 new - ManVentureOutpost

As I understand this model is a closeout. Pro Ears has made it a bit confusing changing model names and dropping or renaming some models.

Their newer all around model is the Pro-Tac 300 http://www.unholstered.com/webstore/home.php?cat=375 we have it listed for $189.95 with one in stock. We are going to be having a Black Friday sale starting Monday with 10% across the board and free shipping.
westberg

Postby Bessy on Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:40 am

David wrote:I have the Peltor Sport-Tac model, and a Peltor Tactical (there's that word again) 6S. The Sport-Tac has the best electronics I have ever heard

I've got a set of peltor tactical-pro's Same deal amazing you never hear any cut out you could talk to me while someone is shooting a full auto right next store. I would hear every world. It blew my mind. I don't have the sealing problem, but i have huge non slim kind, and a gigantic head. They sell silicon pads that replace the stock ones that might fix your seal problem.
In Soviet Russia program executes you!
Bessy

Postby DanM on Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:17 pm

Bessy wrote:
David wrote:I have the Peltor Sport-Tac model, and a Peltor Tactical (there's that word again) 6S. The Sport-Tac has the best electronics I have ever heard

I've got a set of peltor tactical-pro's Same deal amazing you never hear any cut out you could talk to me while someone is shooting a full auto right next store. I would hear every world. It blew my mind. I don't have the sealing problem, but i have huge non slim kind, and a gigantic head. They sell silicon pads that replace the stock ones that might fix your seal problem.

I too have the Peltor Sport-Tacs which I liked. But then I read about the gel ear seals on AR15.com and bought a set. Noticeable improvement. I confirmed that after I bought the regular Sport-Tacs for my son and tried them one after the other. The improvement is in the seal around the ear and may not be a big deal for some people. But it makes a difference for me - especially indoors (like at Bill's).

The gel ear seal is the same part number that Peltor uses on their line of aviation headsets. I don't have it handy, but recall that I spend about $25 with shipping a couple of years ago.

Dan
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
Thomas Jefferson
DanM

Next

Return to General Gun Chat