What is the DEAL with tiny, faded-out type?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

What is the DEAL with tiny, faded-out type?

Postby Rags3000 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:38 am

It's become a commonplace thing, you see it on almost every forum, but almost all the boards I visit have type like this, itty-bitty and grayed-out. What's point, making the whole thing easier on the eyes? If so, making people squint to read it -- gray 6-point type on a blinding white background -- is not the way to go. It's the equivalent of making roads safer by polishing them to a high gloss and making them narrower. Or am I missing some important point?

I note that one of my favorite sites, Lileks.com, still uses good old-fashioned normal-sized, black type. Readable. Squint-free.
"When people cease to believe in God, the danger isn't that they will believe in nothing; it is that they will believe in anything." -- G.K. Chesterton
Rags3000

Re: What is the DEAL with tiny, faded-out type?

Postby jgalt on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:43 am

Are we supposed to have any idea at all what you are referring to...?
jgalt

Postby Stradawhovious on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:45 am

If you hold the CTRL key and scroll up on your mouse, the font will get larger..... well, to be fair, everything will get larger.
Last edited by Stradawhovious on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby EJSG19 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:46 am

if you are talking about this: which is what I think you are takling about then it is mostly used for somebody trying to make a joke, or put a cute little disclaimer down below something they just said.

Sorta like this:
Strad is a cheese-head wearing, raw-burger eating, big meaniehead, with a dog who has a strong liking for socks.

but don't let that fool you too much, he's a pretty nice fella for the most part

Ways to combat this... 1. Hit the Quote button, you will then see the type in normal size, then just close the window or hit Back, so you don't make an accidental post. 2. Copy and paste into a word processor, then highlight, and increase the font size so you can read whatever it is you were previously squinting at. 3. There are a few other ways, depending on how much of a "techy" you are.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby Rags3000 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:47 am

jgalt wrote:Are we supposed to have any idea at all what you are referring to...?

The text typeface used in this forum (and many others). Somehow I thought that was obvious.
"When people cease to believe in God, the danger isn't that they will believe in nothing; it is that they will believe in anything." -- G.K. Chesterton
Rags3000

Postby Rags3000 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:51 am

EJSG19 wrote:if you are talking about this: which is what I think you are takling about then it is mostly used for somebody trying to make a joke, or put a cute little disclaimer down below something they just said.

Sorta like this:
Strad is a cheese-head wearing, raw-burger eating, big meaniehead, with a dog who has a strong liking for socks.

but don't let that fool you too much, he's a pretty nice fella for the most part

Ways to combat this... 1. Hit the Quote button, you will then see the type in normal size, then just close the window or hit Back, so you don't make an accidental post. 2. Copy and paste into a word processor, then highlight, and increase the font size so you can read whatever it is you were previously squinting at. 3. There are a few other ways, depending on how much of a "techy" you are.

Thanks for the suggestions, but what I'm looking for is for the High Sherriffs of this forum to make each post more readable in the first place. Like this, only not quite so big. More like normal..
Last edited by Rags3000 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rags3000

Postby Ironbear on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:53 am

Some of that may be you using a better computer. The fonts are based on screen resolution. If you get a higher resolution screen, the fonts will appear smaller. I don't know what web browser you are using but on Firefox, if you hit Ctrl + (hold down Ctrl and press the "+" button) the font size will increase. Or, if you have a wheel on the mouse, hold down Ctrl and roll the wheel.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby westberg on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:53 am

Check in your User Control Panel upper left of page. Then Board preferences and board styles, I use prosilver.

See if that helps.
westberg

Postby hammAR on Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:00 am

westberg wrote:Check in your User Control Panel upper left of page. Then Board preferences and board styles, I use prosilver.

See if that helps.

...there is also that visually impaired option in the Windows control panel....makes all the type 3 inches high........... :bolt:
Last edited by hammAR on Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby EJSG19 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:00 am

Thanks for the suggestions, but what I'm looking for is for the High Sherriffs of this forum to make each post more readable in the first place. Like this, only not quite so big. More like normal..

Understood. Couple things though:
1. People do it to make it difficult to read on purpose. That is usually part of the joke. So what you can read normally means one thing, then when you figure out what the small stuff says, it probably means something else.

2. You can go to your Internet Explorer settings and increase the font size across the board. click "View" then mouseover Text Size, and pick what you like.

3. You might be talking about something different than what I gave for an example. if so, please disregard.
Last edited by EJSG19 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby jgalt on Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:00 am

Rags3000 wrote:
jgalt wrote:Are we supposed to have any idea at all what you are referring to...?

The text typeface used in this forum (and many others). Somehow I thought that was obvious.

You referenced small, gray text on a white background - I'm looking at 'normal' sized black text on a light blue background. If my view is different from yours, then it is user specific, has little to do with the site, and your complaint is misplaced. If you are simply looking for helpful ways to make your forum viewing more pleasant on your particular machine, well, you could have asked that. And of course, others have already tried to help with exactly that issue...

Good luck.
jgalt

Postby mitchx3 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:23 am

Could be running an LCD at non-native resolution.
mitchx3

Postby DeanC on Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:30 am

Dave,

It's a function of your personal settings, not the forum. Strad has the right idea:

hold the CTRL Key and press + to make the text bigger and bolder.

Press and hold CTRL and - to make it smaller.

Lileks.com is not a forum, it's a blog so it's different that a board like this.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby Pat Cannon on Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:55 am

That "+" key thing allowed me to put off getting glasses for years.
Pat Cannon

Postby MisterOblivious on Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:54 pm

mitchx3 wrote:Could be running an LCD at non-native resolution.

Ahhh, that'l make things look funky! Wouldn't be supprised if that's the root problem. I've noticed a lot of the guys at work run a lower rez because it makes the text bigger. Just look blurrier to my eyes. You get what you pay for... Piss poor scalers and TN panels are the norm on cheap LCDs.

Tip: if you're using an LCD on Windows, use the Cleartype Tuner Sometimes the default setting makes small text a pain to read.
MisterOblivious

Next

Return to General Gun Chat