Good Solid...uh, "Hiking Staff"

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Good Solid...uh, "Hiking Staff"

Postby cmj685 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:06 am

Guys,
I've been looking around for a good solid "hiking staff", preferably made of some solid hard wood, which could also be used for double duty, such as defending from dogs and other dangers afoot. I have found a few places on the internet which sell such items (mostly for a large amount of money) but I was hoping to find some place local where I could actually look and touch and feel before buying. Anyone know of such a place? Thanks!
I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.
cmj685

Re: Good Solid...uh, "Hiking Staff"

Postby Srigs on Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:00 am

Make your own. I did.

Check a medical supply company because they would have canes and possibly walking sticks.
Srigs,

http://www.sideguardholsters.com
http://www.sideguardholsters.com/blog

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.
Srigs

Postby princewally on Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:27 am

Of the people, By the People, For the People. The government exists to serve us, not the reverse.
princewally

Postby westberg on Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:47 am

This is what I have by my front door http://www.bubbastik.com
The orginal Bubba Stik
westberg

Postby W0THK on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:24 am

I got a nice one at the Renaissance Festival a few years ago. Would be kind of a long wait, though ....

TomK
Mpls, MN
W0THK

Postby Ironbear on Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:49 am

Maybe you could go to a martial arts store and look for a bo or jo staff. There is a store (or used to be one) just across the road (South East) from the North Breakfast Denny's. I bough a bo staff there, years ago, 1in diameter, 6 ft long red oak. Good starting point for some customization if nothing else.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby White Horseradish on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:04 pm

"I have come to kick a** and chew bubblegum." <racks shotgun> "And I'm all out of bubblegum."

--John Nada, "They Live"
White Horseradish

Postby John S. on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:12 pm

Bought a nice one at Split Rock Light house this summer, for around $30.00. Solid and nice looking. ;)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. -- P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian
John S.

Postby princewally on Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:07 pm

White Horseradish wrote:And then there's Cold Steel

http://www.coldsteel.com/sticksportal.html

My link is to a division of Cold Steel that sells the sticks for about $30 less than Cold Steel directly.
Of the people, By the People, For the People. The government exists to serve us, not the reverse.
princewally

Postby Wadero on Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:48 pm

“You were born free, you got f***ed out of half of it, and you wave a flag celebrating it.” -- Doug Stanhope
Wadero

Postby 1911fan on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:20 pm

Mike, find a book about Plants and trees, look up "black Locust" then find some on the side of the road and cut a nice sized stick, they grow like weeds around here......Its the best stuff ever for your use. hard, heavy, but not too heavy, nearly unbreakable,and will last for EVERY. Black locust was used by ship builders to make Thole pin, or belay pins because even heavy manilla rope running free over it would not wear it down.
1911fan

Postby White Horseradish on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:58 pm

princewally wrote:
White Horseradish wrote:And then there's Cold Steel

http://www.coldsteel.com/sticksportal.html

My link is to a division of Cold Steel that sells the sticks for about $30 less than Cold Steel directly.

What?! You expect me to read other people's posts before responding? Well, I never... :mrgreen:

I didn't look at your link. I've found CS stuff cheaper on eBay, but their site has the nice pics.
"I have come to kick a** and chew bubblegum." <racks shotgun> "And I'm all out of bubblegum."

--John Nada, "They Live"
White Horseradish

Postby Vlad on Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:51 am

1911fan wrote:Mike, find a book about Plants and trees, look up "black Locust" then find some on the side of the road and cut a nice sized stick, they grow like weeds around here......Its the best stuff ever for your use. hard, heavy, but not too heavy, nearly unbreakable,and will last for EVERY. Black locust was used by ship builders to make Thole pin, or belay pins because even heavy manilla rope running free over it would not wear it down.

I would also recomend Ironwood, light, strong and tough as nails. All it will cost you is a walk in the woods. Tom
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Return to Accessories