Daypack Recommendations

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Daypack Recommendations

Postby photogpat on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:07 am

Alright - so my 20 year old EMS backpack from college is finally giving up the ghost (inner liner delaminating, straps frayed, etc...).

I need a few daypack recommendations. I'm a tall skinny dude, and I frequently do day hikes with my family, the cub/boy scouts, and by myself; it would also be accompanying me hunting - so it'd need to be large enough to fit my back/torso, hold lunch, some clothing, a few odds and ends, and a small camera...but not haul around the entire workshop. I'd prefer to avoid the overly tactical tommy look if I can - and I want something with a Camelback or similar water reservoir integrated into it. I need some real life experience on the hydration reservoirs too (ie. cleaning, use, etc). Not to be overly gross, but I also sweat a ton - its relevant since I've soaked through non-waterproof packs - so something waterproof and/or with a breathable back pad is key too.

I'd rather spend a little more and get one that'll last me another 10-15 years, than spend $25 and get a cheapo.

Here are a few I'm looking at so far:

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/STRIKE-Predator-Hydration-Pack,894,60.htm (this one in Tan is about the limit of my "tactical" tolerance)
http://www.rockymountaintrail.com/detail.aspx?pid=100761&&ocid=659142&coid=437953&utm_medium=DataFeed&utm_source=amazon&utm_content=CamelBakM.U.L.E_100ozBamboo
http://www.rockymountaintrail.com/JanSport/Catalyst_(8000_M)/TXQ3/detail

Any advice from the field?
Last edited by photogpat on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Re: Daypack Recommendations

Postby bstrawse on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:10 am

I have the camelback mule - it works great. I have an older version that I use for 50+ mile cycling rides - it holds up really well. I've had mine for 7-8 years at this point.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby goalie on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:16 am

bstrawse wrote:I have the camelback mule - it works great. I have an older version that I use for 50+ mile cycling rides - it holds up really well. I've had mine for 7-8 years at this point.
b

I use the Mule mountain biking. I don't think it carries enough to meet the OP's requirements. Maybe a larger version of the Camelbak would though.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby photogpat on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:23 am

goalie wrote:
bstrawse wrote:I have the camelback mule - it works great. I have an older version that I use for 50+ mile cycling rides - it holds up really well. I've had mine for 7-8 years at this point.
b

I use the Mule mountain biking. I don't think it carries enough to meet the OP's requirements. Maybe a larger version of the Camelbak would though.

Looks like the MULE has a capacity of 763 cu/in, the Blackhawk version is smaller at 750. My previous EMS pack was 1000 and I found it to be just right (although sometimes I brought too much stuff just because I had the room) -- Hmmmmm...
photogpat

Postby goalie on Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:24 pm

If it's the right size, go for it. I am 6-1, 185 pound guy, and it fits me great for biking. It also expands a little, as the webbing pocket has tension pulls.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby gman1868 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:41 pm

Once you get a pack you can put a ballistic insert in it...

http://ravelingroup.com/images/Ravelin_Group_SDCatalog_2013.pdf
Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Postby Hammer99... on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:05 pm

I have two of these in larger versions. If you are looking for an internal frame. These are very good.

http://www.rei.com/product/796730/osprey-stratos-24-pack

I also have a mule for mountain biking. Again, a very good pack. I think the MULE II has more capacity.

Head to REI they will fit you to a pack. They also offer a no questions asked return policy (might need to be a member). Try it out for a few months. Don't like it. Bring it back.
I love it when a plan comes together!
Hammer99...

Postby photogpat on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:08 pm

Hammer99... wrote:I have two of these in larger versions. If you are looking for an internal frame. These are very good.

http://www.rei.com/product/796730/osprey-stratos-24-pack

I also have a mule for mountain biking. Again, a very good pack. I think the MULE II has more capacity.

Head to REI they will fit you to a pack. They also offer a no questions asked return policy (might need to be a member). Try it out for a few months. Don't like it. Bring it back.

I dropped my membership a few years ago...still, always forget their return policy is solid gold.
photogpat

Postby NMRMN on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:28 pm

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.
Member GOA | GOCRA | NRA
NMRMN

Postby photogpat on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:03 pm

No
photogpat

Postby Doc Harvey on Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:54 pm

http://www.bing.com/shopping/spec-ops-b ... &FORM=HURE

What I carried in OIF back in 2004. Still use it on a routine basis. Hasn't worn out or frayed anywhere. Has a bright yellow interior which really does help in low-light situations. Lots of MOLLE webbing all around. Can't say enough about this pack!
Doc Harvey

Postby photogpat on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:30 pm

So, I ended up grabbing an REI brand "Traverse 30" pack today. I musta loaded up and tried on about a dozen different ones, and this one was the best fit, combination of features, and least "technical" looking. Plus, I had money left over for a new Camelbak! :D

photogpat

Postby Hammer99... on Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:46 pm

Looks like a good choice. It even has a whistle in case you are attacked in the woods. ;)
I love it when a plan comes together!
Hammer99...

Return to Accessories