Hearing Adjourned Until Seven p.m. (Let the Bullying Begin)

Firearms related political discussion forum

Postby The Verminator on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am

Now it's all behind the scenes arm twisting and intimidation to force DFL members into line.
The Verminator

Re: Hearing Adjourned Until Seven p.m. (Let the Bullying Begin)

Postby darkwolf45 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:43 am

I am curious, how many of us are people who vote on this issue first and foremost. Also, how many of us could be correctly labelled as conservative? Now, I'm going out on a limb, but what kind of effect would a cOnservative gun owner telling his dfl rep "this is a make it or break it issue for me and my friends. If you stand for my rights, not only will you safeguard your vote, but I will personally give you my word to help you in the coming election and encourage my friends to do the same" have?
darkwolf45
Banned

Postby Heffay on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:55 am

The Verminator wrote:Now it's all behind the scenes arm twisting and intimidation to force DFL members into line.

"Vote for this bill and we'll give you whatever you want."

"Can you get me re-elected in 2014 in my red-leaning district?"

"...."
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby Mn01r6 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:58 am

Do you identify yourself as someone who votes party line republican when you contact them or do you say you respect a lot of what they say and the good work they do as your elected representative but a no vote on this issue will make it impossible for you to support them in the next election?
Mn01r6

Postby whiteox on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:18 am

I do. And I mean it.
whiteox

Postby The Verminator on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:31 am

Heffay wrote:
The Verminator wrote:Now it's all behind the scenes arm twisting and intimidation to force DFL members into line.

"Vote for this bill and we'll give you whatever you want."

"Can you get me re-elected in 2014 in my red-leaning district?"

Well, what CAN we do? We can make your name "Mud" in the DFL party and guarantee that your political career is over.

OR:

We can commit to heavy financial support that will protect you and we can give you cover on any other controversial votes that come up this session and guarantee you will be first in line for high party positions and that you will soon chair any of several powerful committees and party positions.

In the end though, the reason this bill will be killed is that the DFL leaders love their plush majority-status offices and don't want to go back to the cubbyholes they occupied when in minority-status.

In other words, the arm-twisting will be ineffective because the will of the people is against the Paymar bill and will cause the loss of enough seats to flip the majority/minority status in the Legislature.

He can either let it fail or water it down to irrelevancy. He can't expect much help from the leadership. He's increasingly isolated.

I say he'll let it fail and loudly wail, whine and gnash his teeth.

We should be nice to him. No point in letting this pot boil any more than it has. Let the cooling begin.
The Verminator

Postby Nalez on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:48 am

FYI, from house media services:
Tuesday, March 19:
(Central Time Zone)

ADDED COVERAGE:
7 p.m. - (live) House Public Safety Finance and Policy Committee
Agenda:
Continued discussion and final vote on HF237 (Paymar) Pistol and
semiautomatic military-style assault weapon transfer and firearm
possession eligibility provisions modified, and criminal penalties
provided.
Nalez

Postby jshuberg on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:00 pm

Did anyone else catch Paymar's Freudian slip - "Lets get rid of the gun shows"?
Finally the truth comes out, and it's on video :)
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby AR on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:05 pm

1:00 pm GOCRA eblast:

"Punish Gun Owners Act" hearing moved to 7 p.m. tonight
A hearing on the rights-violating gun control bill, HF237, has been delayed until 7 p.m. tonight.

This gives you the rest of the day to swamp legislators with your calls and emails.

Rep. Michael Paymar, author of HF237, the Punish Gun Owners Act, is also chairman of the House Public Safety Committee, and rescheduled the bill this morning with no notice.

Something sneaky?
Rep. Paymar has also waived the 24-hour amendment rule, so he may try to add something even worse to the bill tonight.

How you can help
1. Come to the hearing tonight
Please meet us, starting at 5:00 p.m., outside the Room 10 at the State Office Building, right next to the Capitol. Here are the directions. Wear a maroon shirt, or better yet, your GOCRA t-shirt.

2. Make your voice heard RIGHT NOW

Call AND email these House Public Safety Committee members TODAY and tell them:

Vote NO on HF237
Demand a vote, and vote YES on HF132
Don't miss this hearing!
GOCRA is keeping score, and a missed vote on HF237 will be counted as a vote FOR it.

Representative John Ward (DFL)
651-296-4333
E-mail: rep.john.ward@house.mn
Thank Rep. Ward for his past support of your gun rights and encourage him to resist pressure from metro gun banners.

Representative Shannon Savick (DFL)
651-296-8216
E-mail: rep.shannon.savick@house.mn
Rep. Savick is a rural DFLer who needs to be reminded that her constituents will not tolerate new gun control.

Representative Steve Simon (DFL)
651-296-9889
E-mail: rep.steve.simon@house.mn
Rep. Simon is a smart, principled lawyer. Remind him that the Supreme Court has affirmed the right to keep and bear arms as an individual right, and that stripping due process doesn't make us more free or more safe.

Representative Brian Johnson (R)
651-296-4346
E-mail: rep.brian.johnson@house.mn
Rep. Johnson is new at the legislature this year, and will be under a lot of pressure to cave to gun control. Tell him to stand firm for our rights.

Then, call and email your OWN senator and representative and give them the same message.

Good House bill: HF1325 (Hilstrom)
Bad Senate bill: HF237 (Paymar)

Good Senate bill: SF1369 (Ortman)
Bad Senate bill: SF458 (Latz)

More info on the good and bad bills is on our web site here: http://www.gocra.org/news/2013/03/tell- ... criminals/

Please forward this email to gun owners and civil rights supporters, and ask them to sign up at http://www.gocra.org/join.html

Donate - Twitter - Facebook
AR

Postby Karl B. Andersen on Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:15 pm

"semiautomatic military-style assault weapon"

Those sporting rifles are neither "assault weapons" nor "military style".
No bill introduced in ANY STATE should be allowed to use such subjective terminology.
(Ever notice they never even mention the caliber?)

Being semi automatic removes them from the category of "assault weapon".
And, try to find any military service man that would willingly go into combat with a civilian AR-15. Ain't gonna happen.
So, they are NOT military "style" either.

And once this terminology is allowed in bills, which is completely subjective and undiscretionary, they can illegalize almost ANYTHING!!

When can we get this stuff removed from these bills? Shouldn't even be there.

And, once again, I say they never even mention the caliber!! Haven't got a clue what they are trying to make illegal other than black plastic.
Karl B. Andersen

Postby Dick Unger on Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:36 pm

How to write to a Democrat.

Remember 1994? I do. The Democrats lost control after the failed "assault weapons ban". Then Al Gore lost the 2000 election by the thinnest of margins. Without the anti gun contro vote, Al Gore would have been President.

And then, about a million people died under United States guns, in your name. Meanwhile, the federal government could find no effect on violence from the expired assault weapon ban, and gun violence in this country has contiued to fall.

Why throw away the Democratic majority status? Vote NO on the Paymar bill. Than you. /name/
Dick Unger

Postby plblark on Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:49 pm

Biden reportedly making calls to MN
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby The Verminator on Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:55 pm

No doubt huge amounts of campaign contributions and presidential visits are being negotiated.

We'll see how that works out.
The Verminator

Postby 2in2out on Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:35 pm

I don't know how much influence Mr. Buy A Shotgun has any more. If he called me, I'd be polite and gracious... and then totally disregard anything he told me...

I sent another round of e-mails. I wonder what that's like - what their inboxes look like, how many they actually have time to read.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby Glocktwenty3 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:48 pm

I sent a round of emails. Anyone know if there is television coverage of the session tonight?
Glocktwenty3

Next

Return to Politics