What the Pho?

Other events and get togethers

Re: What the Pho?

Postby FJ540 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:53 pm

Yep, it'll be a evening time with enough wiggle room for folks to trek to the venue. 6:30-7ish is what I'm thinking.

Fuh is how I'd incorrectly phonetically spell it. Which is why I titled the thread "what the fuh?" :mrgreen:
FJ540

Postby The Lance on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:02 pm

Double POST
Last edited by The Lance on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not down with the republican party, or the democratic party. I represent the MI6
The Lance

Postby The Lance on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:02 pm

You think thats bad.. 99 percent of the people I know can't even pronounce my last name properly..

Its almost just almost as annoying as someone calling a magazine a "clip"
I'm not down with the republican party, or the democratic party. I represent the MI6
The Lance

Postby river_boater on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:44 pm

The Lance wrote:No it's not.. the right pronounciation. If you want to hear it pronounced properly..
Speak to me in person.
How do I know this?
I am fluent in vietnamese and english.

Our favorite waitress at Que Nha in St. Paul pronounces it "Fuh-Gah" (it's listed as Pho-Ga on the menu); I'm not about to argue with her, since she is Vietnamese. The waitresses at Bangkok Thai Deli, also in St. Paul, pronounce it the same way and I think they're Hmong (although I've never asked).

I say who cares? If you say "FO" anywhere they serve it, they'll know what you mean.

Since you are fluent in English, you should know the correct use of a comma, the correct spelling of the word "pronunciation," and that an ellipsis is three "dots," not two and is used to show an omission not a pause. Also, Vietnamese and English are proper nouns, and are thus capitalized
river_boater

Postby The Lance on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:50 pm

Oh I'm sorry my college degree's doesn't mention English anywhere.

But thanks for the tip. I'll make note of it.
The Lance

Postby river_boater on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:59 pm

The Lance wrote:Oh I'm sorry my college degree's doesn't mention English anywhere.

But thanks for the tip. I'll make note of it.

Since you bring this up, I'd be a bit embarrassed that I was so educated, yet functionally illiterate.
river_boater

Postby The Lance on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:41 pm

I'm young, I have much to learn
The Lance

Postby FJ540 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:55 pm

" The ellipsis calls for a slight pause in speech or any form of text, and can be used to suggest a tense or awkward momentary silence"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis

Ok, enough with the language lessons. Can we get back to discussing food?
FJ540

Postby The Lance on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:03 pm

I live my life every bowl of pho at a time.

For those ten minutes or more I'm free..
The Lance

Postby mrp on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:18 pm

I searched to see if Kimson in Bloomington had been mentioned and found a Pho thread from a couple of years ago. Might be worth looking back on.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19946

I had the seafood Pho at Kimson a month or so ago and liked it well enough. I'm wondering if they do anything especially well that I should try if I get back there.

http://midwestmenus.com/file/menu_kimson%284562%29.pdf
mrp

Postby DaZhi on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:52 pm

The hmuan mnid is phaonmneal
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy it dsenot mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef but the wrod as a wlohe
Azanmig huh

Cnat we all jsut get anolg I olny wnat to eat pho and tlak auobt freimras

On topic (kinda), 'Gai' (pronounced 'Guy') means chicken in Thai. 'Gah' being the Vietnamese equivalent, i think.
DaZhi

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:18 am

You guys are Hell, on a Fat guy that loves all nearly all ethnic food. Just be sure to post a where and when this is going to happen and I will almost surely be there. I always enjoy FJ540's conversation and I'm beginning to believe his tastes are similar to mine as well.

I mentioned the possibility of this get together and my wife said that there is "damn little chance" of me going to eat Pho without her. She may be Ukrainian, but she loves her Pho :D
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby FJ540 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:28 am

DaZhi wrote:The hmuan mnid is phaonmneal
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy it dsenot mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef but the wrod as a wlohe
Azanmig huh

Cnat we all jsut get anolg I olny wnat to eat pho and tlak auobt freimras

On topic (kinda), 'Gai' (pronounced 'Guy') means chicken in Thai. 'Gah' being the Vietnamese equivalent, i think.

See sig line. ;)

What brought this concept up in my head was thinking back to the thread pulled up a couple posts back. We like food, we like guns, we tend to like each other - that means we should have more meals and talk more guns to me. :lol:

In the interest of spacing these out, we should pick a week to hit on. We have the quarterly (or less) Open Carry Gopher breakfast, but that's scheduled when George finds himself in the effen mood. The 2nd Sat North (east) breakfast at OCB. The 1st Wed lunch at 98 Pounds. There's a south breakfast on one of the Saturdays (I'll look it up later). And (yes, I really did just start a sentence with And, and I have several college credits of English with A and B's, no less :P ) then we have the leagues during the week and steel shoots on weekends. I'm quite proud of the cluster muck of events we need to work around, but it does leave the placement of another meet in a bit of a quandary.

As Lance pointed out, not making every match is probably going to be typical for some folks. We'll have to step on someone's schedule here and there. I just want this to be an interactive process as much as possible, because without you guys - I can eat alone just about any time I choose. :)
FJ540

Postby princewally on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:08 am

Wok In The Park in SLP has some decent pho. And the best cream cheese wontons I've ever had. And it's between a geek-gamer store and Axe-Man.
Of the people, By the People, For the People. The government exists to serve us, not the reverse.
princewally

Postby Ironbear on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:15 pm

Can't claim any deep knowledge on pho, but the last place I went was Sweet Basil up in Brooklyn Park. Thought it was good.

http://www.sweetbasilcuisine.com/
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

PreviousNext

Return to Other Events