Fundraiser at restaurants to help Uptown fire survivor

Other events and get togethers

Fundraiser at restaurants to help Uptown fire survivor

Postby xd ED on Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:43 pm

Star-Tribune Article

"A week after a devastating fire killed Uptown resident James "Jay" Beck IV, his friends and co-workers plan to hold a fundraiser on Saturday to help his roommate, who was hospitalized for several days and lost his belongings in the blaze.

To be held at the Burger Jones restaurants in Uptown and Burnsville, the fundraiser will commit 10 percent of the day's sales to Alex Franzen, who survived the Sept. 14 fire that killed Beck, 28. The roommates and friends both worked at Burger Jones."

I read there's to be an MGT gathering there on Saturday...4?..5?PM. There's a link to FaceBook that I can't see.
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=275032092515004
So if someone who knows would post the time, I would be most apreciative.
For those who weren't aware, Alex is 1911fan's nephew.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Re: Fundraiser at restaurants to help Uptown fire survivor

Postby Shipyard on Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:54 pm

other than swilling beer and burgers and the peole getting 10% :roll: is there somewhere/someone where we could throw a $20 and get it where it needs to go? i'd rather give straight up cash than funnel it through someone.

not saying that the 10% isn't cool of the business - you know what i'm saying
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby xd ED on Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:09 pm

Shipyard wrote:other than swilling beer and burgers and the peole getting 10% :roll: is there somewhere/someone where we could throw a $20 and get it where it needs to go? i'd rather give straight up cash than funnel it through someone.

not saying that the 10% isn't cool of the business - you know what i'm saying

That would work for me.
Throw out a time and place.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby 1911fan on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:44 pm

If someone wants to donate to Alex please pm me for additional information.

That said, I plan on being there (uptown) about 1:00 or so.

The biggest loss for Alex has been his buddy and best friend. The next has been his bikes and bike tools. He also lost a very impressive comic book collection from the sixties on that he had gotten from his dad and worked hard to expand. He quite literally came out with only the clothes he was wearing. He lost all the simple but necessary things like glasses. Contacts, wallet, laptop, cellphone, clothes, shoes and boots, car keys (by the way thank you MPD for towing his car while he was hospitalized and charging him $400.00 to get it back) so it's going to take a long time for him to get back on his feet.

For all of you who go, thank you very much.

P.
1911fan

Postby Seismic Sam on Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:53 am

Well, I'll say that passing 10% of the proceeds on to the needy person isn't cool, and the scam artists that supposedly represent the policeman's and firefighters associations are required by law to donate a MINIMUM of 15% of the money through their organization. I mean, the standard for a tip is 15% these days!! How do we contribute directly??
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby 45Badger on Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:38 am

Seismic Sam wrote:Well, I'll say that passing 10% of the proceeds on to the needy person isn't cool, and the scam artists that supposedly represent the policeman's and firefighters associations are required by law to donate a MINIMUM of 15% of the money through their organization. I mean, the standard for a tip is 15% these days!! How do we contribute directly??

Try not to bash the restaurant. Restaurants typically operate on a 1-5% profit margin, so that "scam artist" restaurant is most likely making a donation5-9% donation. Many folks who "donate" want something for donation, so this model works to get cash out of the cheapskates who would not otherwise give a thing.

Direct cash and replacement stuff (clothes, cell phones, etc) are best.
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby farmerj on Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:40 am

Sorry for his losses.

A home owner is required to have insurance. Includes coverage for personal belongings.

Renters have the same option w/ renters insurance to cover personal property.

Just saying.

Flame suit on
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby 1911fan on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:33 am

Farmer, that's true true he did have an option. But like many 27 year olds he was fiercely independent and he was living life his way. He was also working two plus jobs and trying to get enough ahead to get married. Working as he did he didn't make enough to get health insurance either. In hind site, I am sure we could find faults with all sorts of his decisions in life.

I am sure in the light of history and distance, every decision you have made is above reproach and stands strict scrutiny.

If you wish to discuss this further, PM me for a location.
1911fan

Postby farmerj on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:48 am

Nope, made plenty of stupid mistakes and decisions.

Lessons like this should be blaring to young kids trying to get ahead renters insurance and other thing should take on more priority.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby mnglocker on Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:12 am

Farmer, you're being a dick. If you don't want to participate then don't. You only have yourself to answer to when you lay down at night.

I for one am going. Because Pete is a friend of mine and I always enjoy a reason to go out with friends and break bread, and to boot it's helping out his nephew, who will probably not ever go without renters insurance again.

Personal attack......warning issued ...2nd in 30 days.....1 day ban
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby mnglocker on Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:12 am

Don't worry, I flagged my own post too.
-Get a rope Tuco.

mnglocker

Postby farmerj on Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:15 am

mnglocker wrote:Don't worry, I flagged my own post too.

While your being so self-righteous:

http://www.cpr-mn.org

JPC/ESP Legislative Update Meeting
Did you miss the meeting last Saturday?

Look what legislators will be there THIS Saturday Sept 24, 2011!

Meeting: This Saturday Sept 24, 2011

Time: 2-4:30 pm
Location: William Mitchell College of Law, St Paul, Room 323 (parking free and easy – lot or street)

What legislators will be there?

Rep. Peggy Scott, Rep. Steve Drazkowski, Rep. Tim Mahoney, Rep. Pam Wolf, Sen. Gretchen Hoffman, (and maybe a couple more).

· If you bring any other current sitting legislator with you and they stay for the movie, you will get a DVD movie about non-custodial fathers.

· Legislators admitted without membership.

· See membership details in previous email notice – Research Study open to any NCP dad (non-members welcome), Legislative Update and Movie for current members only – membership donation (tax deductible contribution used for education and awareness) accepted at the door.

What NCP dads, second spouses, grandparents, and adult children of divorce said last week: “don’t miss this meeting. There is hope. It's great to hear firsthand from legislators. Bring people with you who know about the problems in family court and want to see things changed.”

Agenda

1:30 – 2:30 Registration

2-2:30 Research Study for NCP dads

2:30 – 3:30 JPC/ESP Legislative Update (where we’ve been – Where we are headed with JPC – 2 BIG changes being announced)

3:30 – 4:30 Premier Screening of Movie “Guilty Until Proven Innocent” (attendees last week were deeply moved by what they saw - discusses why reform is needed). THE GUPI film was professionally produced by NCP fathers in cooperation with ACFC, American Coalition of Fathers and Children, in Washington D.C. It's being shown across the country. This is the MN screening.

Oh wait, that's not important to you.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Postby mnglocker on Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:18 am

farmerj wrote:Sorry for his losses.

A home owner is required to have insurance. Includes coverage for personal belongings.

Renters have the same option w/ renters insurance to cover personal property.

Just saying.

Flame suit on

Saving this for later
-Get a rope Tuco.

mnglocker

farmerj wrote:Nope, made plenty of stupid mistakes and decisions.

Lessons like this should be blaring to young kids trying to get ahead renters insurance and other thing should take on more priority.

Saving this for later
-Get a rope Tuco.

mnglocker

farmerj wrote:
mnglocker wrote:Don't worry, I flagged my own post too.

While your being so self-righteous:

http://www.cpr-mn.org

JPC/ESP Legislative Update Meeting
Did you miss the meeting last Saturday?

Look what legislators will be there THIS Saturday Sept 24, 2011!

Meeting: This Saturday Sept 24, 2011

Time: 2-4:30 pm
Location: William Mitchell College of Law, St Paul, Room 323 (parking free and easy – lot or street)

What legislators will be there?

Rep. Peggy Scott, Rep. Steve Drazkowski, Rep. Tim Mahoney, Rep. Pam Wolf, Sen. Gretchen Hoffman, (and maybe a couple more).

· If you bring any other current sitting legislator with you and they stay for the movie, you will get a DVD movie about non-custodial fathers.

· Legislators admitted without membership.

· See membership details in previous email notice – Research Study open to any NCP dad (non-members welcome), Legislative Update and Movie for current members only – membership donation (tax deductible contribution used for education and awareness) accepted at the door.

What NCP dads, second spouses, grandparents, and adult children of divorce said last week: “don’t miss this meeting. There is hope. It's great to hear firsthand from legislators. Bring people with you who know about the problems in family court and want to see things changed.”

Agenda

1:30 – 2:30 Registration

2-2:30 Research Study for NCP dads

2:30 – 3:30 JPC/ESP Legislative Update (where we’ve been – Where we are headed with JPC – 2 BIG changes being announced)

3:30 – 4:30 Premier Screening of Movie “Guilty Until Proven Innocent” (attendees last week were deeply moved by what they saw - discusses why reform is needed). THE GUPI film was professionally produced by NCP fathers in cooperation with ACFC, American Coalition of Fathers and Children, in Washington D.C. It's being shown across the country. This is the MN screening.

Oh wait, that's not important to you.

Saving this for later
-Get a rope Tuco.

mnglocker

Next

Return to Other Events