Component-Safe Swap Thread

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Component-Safe Swap Thread

Postby bpacman on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:23 pm

Just an idea.

During these times, which seem to only occur during the confused election periods, the reloading component market goes nuts and everyone seems to fall in one of several categories:

1. Well Prepared for Years to Come
2. Sufficiently Stocked for the Year
3. Barely Making my Own and Worried
4. Woke up and Decided to Reload

Looking around the reloading bench we all see some stuff that we have in stock just in case we decide to start reloading that caliber ( Dies, Casing, Bullets, Primers, Powder) but know deep down it is just taking up space.

We could put some of this stuff up for sale hoping that the Category 4 people will be desperate enough to buy it at inflated prices or we could insist on Fair Trade Only. If we designate a pre-panic cash value, the "Entrepreneurs" on this forum may try to take advantage if we offer pre-panic cash value knowing they can turn a quick buck.

I understand that some trades may require "cash" augmentation but when we see that the "trade" offer exceeds the "Fair Standard" we can influence this and help bring things back to normal.

Just wondering what you all think about this. Gun values will always fluctuate based on perceived quality and available supply, but it irks me when a person has to spend 1$ every time they pull the trigger on even our most popular rounds of ammunition.

I have always been a conservative capitalist, but I believe in being fair more than taking advantage of a market driven by a lack of being prepared or possible insight as to which disaster will be pushing a political agenda.

What do you think?? Is this possible on this Forum? Let me start with my personal example.
Good Judgement comes from Experience....Unfortunately a lot of that comes from Bad Judgement.
bpacman

Re: Component-Safe Swap Thread

Postby bpacman on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:28 pm

I have a bag of (500) 40 S&W casings that I know I will never reload. Sold the dies but forgot the casings.

Willing to trade for equal value:

Small Pistol or Rifle Primers.
Varget, H335, H322, Win231, Blue Dot Powders
223, 9mm, 45 bullets or casings.

Bp
Good Judgement comes from Experience....Unfortunately a lot of that comes from Bad Judgement.
bpacman

Postby MrVvrroomm on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:39 pm

40 brass is still fairly plentiful from what I've seen. 9mm is in much higher demand presently.

Is it new brass? Once-fired? You've got about $20 worth of once-fired brass there.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Certified Glock Armorer

engnerdan wrote:First he beat me up on the price. Then he made me deliver it. Then he made me drive to Roseville to pick up my money.
MrVvrroomm
Changed

Postby bpacman on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:47 pm

Thank you Mr. Vrroom, I realize that and it is closer to $25. That is the point. Equal Value...what is it worth to the trader. My next offer may be for 9mm brass but I want to see what the other members think about this process.

Right now I don't need the brass but I don't want to give it away. If the reloaders on this forum do the same we may influence a series of people to stop panicking and trade for the goods they need without being afraid of being raked over the coals.

Too me this trade is worth 1k of primers, a pound of powder or 100 bullets, depending on what they have to offer.

Bp
bpacman

Postby MrVvrroomm on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:53 pm

bpacman wrote:Too me this trade is worth 1k of primers...
Even prior to Sandy Hook, when was the last time you bought 1K primers for $25?

Certified Glock Armorer

engnerdan wrote:First he beat me up on the price. Then he made me deliver it. Then he made me drive to Roseville to pick up my money.
MrVvrroomm
Changed

Postby gearguy10 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:03 pm

MrVvrroomm wrote:

Oh, geez. Here we go... :stirthepot:
"Do you think my mind is maturing late, or simply rotted early?" - Ogden Nash
gearguy10

Postby bpacman on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:07 pm

MrVvrroomm wrote:

You obviously live to far south to visit a favorite place of mine. Wolf Den has been selling Winchester Primers for $25 per 1k for the last two years.

They are still selling at that price when in stock.

Bp
bpacman

Postby CarRacer on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:17 pm

I have 100ish 9mm mixed headstamp (Mostly S&B once fired by me, rest ranga pickups) and 50ish 357 and 38 mixed headstamp (a few 38s from me, rest range pickups for future wheel gun purchase) to trade. Trade for 45acp plated projectiles, prefer 230gr.

Last edited by CarRacer on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
CarRacer

Postby JJ on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:21 pm

If the concern is to really help category 4 folks, why ask for something in return?

I did my part this week. I gave a new reloader about 300 cases of tumbled 30/06 brass. I only asked he pay the favor forward down the line. That's how you get new folks started.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby bpacman on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:26 pm

Yeah CarRacer!! That is what I am talking about. Unfortunately we may need to have a Twin Cities Quadrant Thread for NW, NE, SW, SE. It would cost more in gas that your brass is worth to me in the NE section.

Bp
bpacman

Postby bpacman on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:36 pm

JJ wrote:If the concern is to really help category 4 folks, why ask for something in return?

I did my part this week. I gave a new reloader about 300 cases of tumbled 30/06 brass. I only asked he pay the favor forward down the line. That's how you get new folks started.

You the Man JJ!! I am with you there Brother. I did the same thing. My 70ish father let me know he is done, shooting, reloading and hunting, so I boxed up all his reloading stuff last Christmas and gave it (free of charge) to a friend who wanted to see if reloading was something he would like to do. This was on the condition that he could never sell the equipment and would have to either give it back or give it away to a new reloader. I spent several hours teaching him and gave him manuals that I "INSISTED" he read and follow.

It has been like introducing Crack to a Crack Whore. He can't get enough.

Pay it forward, but do not create the entitlement culture that is so dependent on our current administration.

Bp
bpacman

Postby BemidjiDweller on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:36 pm

bpacman wrote:
MrVvrroomm wrote:

You obviously live to far south to visit a favorite place of mine. Wolf Den has been selling Winchester Primers for $25 per 1k for the last two years.

They are still selling at that price when in stock.

Bp

Yep, last time I was in Wolfs Den they were still at $20ish per # of W231 and $25ish per 1k Winchester SPP. Just wish I didn't have to drive an hour to get there :cry:
BemidjiDweller

Postby BigDog58 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:51 am

JJ wrote:If the concern is to really help category 4 folks, why ask for something in return?

I'm the Newbie JJ helped. And, I'm passing on by giving another board member over 100 pieces of 30/30 brass that came in a bag of mixed brass I purchased from a guy I know in NY. I have no need of them and the member did a solid for me, so instead of trying to sell them, I'm trying to do what I promised JJ I would do.

I know I'm only a Noob, but I believe that reloaders should try to help each other in these wild and stupid times. By "helping" one another, we can possibly help knock the wind out of the price gougers. I have owned an ran three profitable businesses and not once have I gouged or ripped off a single customer. When computer memory was in a spot similar to the reloading scene, I had extra memory and helped those that I could. I still have contact with some of them and they have repaid me ten-fold in kindness and friendship. Money, is nice. But it is Not everything! I get far more personal satisfaction by helping another in need, than the reward of a few extra bucks in my pocket. Money, comes and goes, but good deeds never end.

I won't belittle someone for their business practices! But, I will Not Ever knowingly spend a penny buying anything from a place that intentioally gouges others, no matter how badly I want or need it. I can honestly say that I sleep better at night knowing that I've done my very best to help another in need. I'm far from rich, but I live comfortably and I can personally know I've never intentionally taken advantage of another person.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby FJ540 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:08 pm

Wolfs Den is selling 100 primers for 3.99 and has a max of 300. So that's $40/K.

They haven't been under $31 this year.
FJ540

Postby MrVvrroomm on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:14 pm

FJ540 wrote:Wolfs Den is selling 100 primers for 3.99 and has a max of 300. So that's $40/K.

They haven't been under $31 this year.

Hmmmmm?

Certified Glock Armorer

MrVvrroomm
Changed

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading